re: Fish (Salmon) and Omega-3

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by yummyfoods, Feb 15, 2005.

1. yummyfoods

yummyfoods

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew what the white secretion from fish is. Either baked or broiled, the fish leaks out these white liquid which I assume is just oil. I'm particularly interested in baked salmon. I bake salmon once a week and usually end up with some of these strange looking secretion but I usually scrape and discard it. Is this actually the good omega-3 fish oil that doctors say are good for the heart?

I'd like to gain confirmation before I force myself to eat it, because it does not look too appetizing.

Thanks

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Albumin. Basically a coagulated protien. It's harmless.

Phil

3. pinot

pinot

For health and taste reasons it maybe time to roast the Salmon a little more gently. Try cooking the fiish at lower temps to avoid the secretion. Some chefs here "roast" quality salmon type fish as low as 90deg F. If thats a bit extreme , try baking fillet pieces at 220-240deg F (120 deg celsius). For about 20minutes.

Sometimes I sear in a pan first then put into a slow oven , or sometimes not. Or sometimes I just chop it up and eat raw :lips: Its interesting to see the different textures produced by using different cooking temps.

4. mikelm

mikelm

Exp:
    Home Chef
    The white ooze question was addressed in the current Cook's Illustrated (March-April 2005.) They quoted Donald Kramer, professor of seafood science at the University of Alaska, Fairbanks:

"...this 'white curd' is composed of fish albumin, soluble proteins that are squeezed out onto the surface of the fish and coagulate once they denature... There's nothing harmful in it... If the look of the albumin bothers you, use a damp paper towel to gently blot it off."

Sounds like the right guy to ask. :chef:

Mike