Raw salmon

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by koukouvagia, May 28, 2013.

1. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Whether it's sushi or cured I love salmon raw! But I don't really prepare it much at home. Any ideas on incorporating raw salmon in my kitchen? Any creative ways to use lox?

2. berndy

berndy

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Lomi- Lomi Salmon is the only dish I can think off at his moment.

3. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Roll large, thin slices of raw, cured (gravlaks) or smoked salmon into horn shapes, use a piping bag to fill them with a smoked trout (or other fish) mousse.

Spread sour dough toast first with a little sweet butter, than a healthy schmear of avocado.  Sprinkle a little lime juice on the avocado.  Garnish the tops with alternating stripes of chopped smoked salmon, paddlefish caviar, and a vegetarian mix of finely diced shallot and tomato and dill.  Sprinkle a little chopped egg  on the caviar, and garnish the egg with a bit of chopped chive.  Cut the toast into diamonds, making sure to include at least two toppings on each slice.   

Potato pancakes served with gravlaks, creme fraiche and caviar.

Maki of raw salmon, salmon eggs (ikura), and grilled salmon skin.

Break some eggs.  Chop some garlic chives, add them to the eggs, beat together and season with salt and pepper.  Scramble the eggs soft, in the French style, and fill the reserved egg-shells (or you may use cocottes).  Top with brunoise of red onion, chopped smoked salmon and caviar.       

BDL

4. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    KK with your love of frittatas and all things eggs, i would think that a leek asparagus chèvre frittata would be right up your alley....use hot smoked salmon to stand in for Canadian bacon in eggs Benedict. a smoked salmon strata which can be made up the night before for a special breakfast or in the am for dinner later that day is downright decadent. one of my favorite dishes with smoked salmon is fresh fettuccine in a light lemony cream sauce with dill,peas and caviar garnish...or asparagus....I think that asparagus and lox are a perfect match, so roll salmon around a crispy blanched asparagus spear or even a pickled one..... lemon creme fraiche for dipping. Smoked salmon baked potatoes which are really just a cruder version of twice baked....after the potato is baked the insides are mashed with sour cream, butter, scallions,dill,smoked salmon and s&p..put back in the oven for a short reheat. there are lots of spreads and dips but for my money you just can't beat lox served plain with a squeeze of sunny lemon fried capers, and lemon creme fraiche.

joey
    i ate so much smoked salmon this weekend I developed a Jewish accent.....OY! ;)

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  5. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    sorry, double post...

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  6. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Joey mit die yiddishe accent, nochNechtiger tog

BDL

7. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    BDL that sourdough thing sounds amazing!

Yes indeed I love all things eggs. In fact this morning I made some soft scrambled eggs with dill and smoked Salmon but I barely had a bite... my 2yr old ate it all! I guess it runs in the family.

8. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Salmon tartare!! I have a recipe somewhere - let me know if you need it! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

9. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    very funny BDL..
    zip-a-dee-doo-dah and shalom....

FF...I would so love your salmon tartare recipe if it's not too much trouble to dig out....can you explain the photo please and thank you......

joey

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  10. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hi Joey, I wish that picture was mine... just found it on the net to illustrate the salmon tartare idea.  I'll dig my recipe. 

I also like those hors d'oeuvre (my photograph this time - notice the difference in quality? /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif): potato pancakes, sour cream and smoked salmon: 

11. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Yes salmon tartar recipe please! With explicit instructions on how to chop it properly.

12. pollopicu

pollopicu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Yes, please French Fries.

13. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Oy, sorry for all the edits and the ramble .....quite the meshungina, eh? it took me a bit to 'get' the Jewish humor in yiddish so I completely misread the post....Catholics and Jews are not so different though with all the hand gesturing and the talking and the long, long suffering. No one quite does long suffering like the Italian Catholics in my opinion though...'you're just not doing it right unless you're suffering' say the nuns....
    Okey dokey, back to salmon........i know it's not lox but crispy fried salmon skin is right up there with smoked salmon,lox and salmon belly meat..I've watched countless times as chefs clean a whole salmon and throw the precious belly meat away....it's the best part...kinda like the 'oysters' on a whole chicken.....but that's neither here nor there..we're still talking salmon here....sooo.....
    FF...was there a caption or blurb as to what the drizzled sauces and quenelle were on the salmon tartare internet photo? any guess? your platter looks divine...lots of work,but so worth every single bite.....lucky guests.....

joey

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  14. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Thanks Joey! The original photograph came from http://parisbycellphone.com/2012/09...hursday-salmon-tartare-with-cream-and-caviar/ - not much info unfortunately - looks like an avocado mouse on top there... okay, recipes: I couldn't find my salmon tartare recipe!!! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/frown.gif  But anyway you don't really need a recipe: mix diced raw salmon with anything you'd like. I've tried to arrange the ingredients by type to give you some ideas here so you can make your own: 
    • Dice salmon to the desired dice size (I like very small dice), 
    • Lime juice, (Lemon juice, Balsamic vinegar...)
    • Olive oil, (creme fraiche, toasted sesame oil...)
    • Scallions, (shallots, chives....)
    • Capers, (cornichons...)
    • Chilis,
    • Dill, (coriander, parsley...)
    • S & P, 
    • Bell peppers, cucumbers (diced very finely)...
    ...just make sure whatever you mix in is diced finely and in small quantity as to not overpower the salmon which should stay the star. I have presented it cucumber cups (cut a piece out of a cucumber, slice it in the diagonal to get two pieces, and hollow them out, fill with salmon tartare), but the best way is with some form or crackers. 

15. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    And shoya, wasabi, pickled ginger, ...

mjb

16. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Shoyu?

17. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Soy sauce.

mjb.

18. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Soy sauce sounds good. Maybe a little bit of tabasco or cholula. Why not fish sauce, or worcestershire.... you could play with herbs too... basil would work, all sorts of Asian herbs...even tarragon if you like it (I'm not a big fan). 

I was thinking, if you're going to serve salmon tartare as a hors d'oeuvre, you could make some fancy carriers like Wolfgang puck makes for his tuna tartare!! Here his recipe for Sesame Miso Cones. It's a beautiful way to present your tartare and it tastes amazing (I've had it at his Spago restaurant). 

19. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Koukou, I hope you already made some gravad lax. It's so easy to do, even with smaller pieces of salmon. I posted a recipe for this cured salmon a long time ago, together with homemade potato blinis and homemade sour cream. Here's the link with the recipe;

http://www.cheftalk.com/t/63245/gravad-lax-slideshow#post_332899

Picture of the finished product:

Work in progress;

colleens likes this.
  20. ed buchanan

ed buchanan

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Try Salmon Tartare    Raw thin sliced salmon on toasted French bread crouton with  quail egg , chopped parsley and dill