RAW FOOD RESTAURANT - the latest trend?

Joined Jul 31, 2000
kokopuffs,

This was truly an intersting piece to read.

Klien was givin the nod by some pretty heavy hitters.
facinating concept and innovation.

Thanks for the link
cc

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
Very interesting article and I have to wonder after reading it will a concept like this last? It seems more like a one time experience concept and I think will be hard pressed to build repeat buisness. I know very few people who can eat this way all the time.

Joined Aug 29, 2000
Hard to imagine this being a way of life- especially in the Midwest, where it's hard for home cooks to get really fresh produce year-round- at least without going broke.

I'd be game to try a meal there, just to explore the flavors. I admire her extreme creativity to achieve familiar, recognizable products with unexpected ingredients (parsnip couscous, for example).

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
It can certainly be a good cuisine. I doubt the penetration power into the market though. There's a lot to compete against.

It's highly intensive in preparation, and rather perishable. This means it's going to be expensive and little could be pre-prepared without serious flavor decline and even nutrition or health risk. So lots of on-time labor on many seasonally limited ingredients.

Seems the concept itself is self-limiting because of economics. That doesn't mean it won't become part of mainstream restaurants as seasonal specials or whatever. But if there is ever a transportation crunch or fuel crisis, this will be the first cuisine to fail.

Phil

Top Bottom