Raw egg prevention needed

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by somethingtasty, Jun 4, 2011.

1. somethingtasty

somethingtasty

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hi.. I have a family recipe for a cake that I would like to try out, but it's an older one and it includes raw eggs in its filling. I tried thinking out a way to cook the eggs but then I saw it also included whipped whites, so I would require your help.

First of all, the yolks. It says to cream 250 gr. butter with 125 gr. powdered sugar and then add 7 yolks one by one. How can I do this in a double boiler? I've done various things in a double boiler but not a cake filling, do I put all things at once, or first cream butter and sugar and then add the yolks? There must be a way and I am sure you know it.

Also, the whites. It says to beat 7 whites with 125 gr. powdered sugar and then mix the two fillings and add 200 gr. grated toasted walnuts. However, before we get to that, how can I replace the whites? I would be guessing heavy cream, although how much heavy cream (whipped) is equal to 7 whites and 125 gr. powdered sugar (whipped)?

I can't find such thing as preserved eggs or whatever so I will have to use the aforementioned way, hopefully getting some help on how to cook the yolks and substitute the whites. Thanks a lot! :)

2. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    You can't put butter in a double boiler.  You can get pasteurized eggs though.  Yep, in the shell, pasteurized.

3. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Question to confusing for me.... Good Luck

4. somethingtasty

somethingtasty

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Yeah, pausterised was the word. Can't find them around here.

Anyway, why can't I put creamed butter and sugar in the double boiler? It sounds stupid, but why not, or perhaps the yolks? There must be a way

5. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Because butter melts at little over 98.4 degrees.

6. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Why? /img/vbsmilies/smilies/confused.gif

7. somethingtasty

somethingtasty

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    You know what I mean, cooking the yolks over a double boiler so that we kill the salmonella.

Kuan, I forgot that....

8. somethingtasty

somethingtasty

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    What about cooking the yolks for a bit and then adding as I would add the raw ones?

9. longcolts

longcolts

Exp:
    At home cook

Samonella normally comes off of the shells and if you buy good fresh eggs from a reputable company that's usually not a problem.

10. somethingtasty

somethingtasty

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Still, I have paid attention so far and I would rather keep that way.

But I think it shouldn't be a problem to cook the yolks over a double boiler for a little time and then just add them to creamed butter when they have cooled?

11. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    What LongColts said. However, if you're serving an Immune compromised crowd you need other options. Powdered egg whites and yolks are also safe to use for this purpose, same as pasteurized.

12. somethingtasty

somethingtasty

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I wouldn't have posted this if there was a chance to find powdered, pasteurised or any other alternative. All I can get is eggs from various companies which are not guarantee for their safety if eaten raw.

13. longcolts

longcolts

Exp:
    At home cook
    This begs the question of, Where are you located?

14. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    This isn't something that can be substituted really.

Pasteurization of eggs is not something that can be done at home, or substituted.

Order online and keep the powdered supplies on hand for future use. Or take the slight risk with eggs you have.

15. somethingtasty

somethingtasty

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Macedonia. Where we don't have pasteurised eggs, powdered eggs, vanilla beans, pure vanilla extract, corn syrup and a long list of other stuff. :)

16. longcolts

longcolts

Exp:
    At home cook
    What Phatch said.  Or be sure that the eggs you can aquire are just coming from under the chicken.  Btw cooking them in the cake proper would lend to temperatures high enough to killing salmonella would it not?

17. somethingtasty

somethingtasty

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    They are a part of the filling that is added on the baked sponge. Of course baking at 200 degrees would kill it, salmonella is killed at 75 degrees Celsius.

It's okay what you say, but couldn't I simply cook the yolks, cool them and add to creamed butter?

18. longcolts

longcolts

Exp:
    At home cook
    I don't believe you can as they must be tempered first to prohibit scrambling or coagulation.

19. somethingtasty

somethingtasty

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    What about zabaione, when you do exactly that - cook the yolks?

20. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Do you never have mayo? /img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif