Ratatouille

Joined Sep 5, 2008
I put up a year's supply of Caponata every fall. Considering that's just the Italian version of ratatouille I don't imagine you'd have much trouble.
Hmmmm.. caponata... that's delicious too. I never considered it as an Italian version of ratatouille, although it does make a lot of sense. Maybe now that you said that I'll try making it! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Joined Feb 1, 2007
Technically, French Fries, it's a Sicilian version.  And the folks who taught me how to make it would probably say that ratatouille is the French version of caponata. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

If you decide to can it, keep in mind it must be pressure canned to be safe. Sure, sure, many old timers just use a boiling water bath. But it's really not acidic enough for that. This is even more true for ratatouille.

Joined Sep 5, 2008
And the folks who taught me how to make it would probably say that ratatouille is the French version of caponata. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif
Yeah and pizza is the Italian version of croque monsieur. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif I'm just joking I have no idea who came first, ratatouille or caponata. One thing I know is that ratatouille comes from the south of France, so not that far from Sicilia, so it makes sense that one dish may have influenced the other (or the other way around).

Joined Feb 1, 2007
Is a puzzlement, FF. 

Of course, with the inclusion of tomato products we could make a case that everybody stole the idea from the Aztecs. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/thumb.gif

Joined Jan 23, 2010
the ingredients for how i make Ratatouille are as follows, no weights or measurements, all vegetable ingredients are roughly equal in quantity

White Onion
Aubegine
Courgette
Mixed Pimento
Button Mushrooms
Chopped Tomatoes in Juice
Garlic
Oregano
Basil
Tomato Paste
Salt
Pepper
White Wine
Fat for frying preferably Butter

method:
in a thick bottom pan sweat diced onion in fat till soft, then add garlic and cook for a couple of minutes, add some white wine and cook out the alcohol
add all the other diced vegetables and chopped tomatoes, add the herbs and season,
bring gently to boil and simmer for 15 minutes till the vegetables are soft, add the tomato puree and check seasoning and consistency

Latest posts

Top Bottom