raisins going bad

Joined Aug 13, 2006
I like california raisins but they are impossible to find here.  They only have sultanas, which are less tasty, and are usually covered in some dubious oil (even vaseline!).  So I buy them when i go abroad.  Of course they don't last forever, and sometimes i bring back a large stock.  I notice that they get "granular" when they sit around too long, even in sealed packages.  I want to know what these "granules" are - if they;re bug eggs (i don't generally see any bugs) i don't want to eat them, but if it';s just some process of crystallization of the (natural) sugar in them then I don't see why not to use them in cooked dishes at least, soaking them a little first.  I don't have all that much refrigerator space, and i have even less freezer space. 

Is there any other way to keep them (vacuum packing them, if i were to get hold of a vacuum packer) or something else?

And are these bug eggs, or sugar crystallization.  They;re the color of the raisins, and the raisins don't have the usual bug holes you find when some bug enters something and lays eggs in it. 

Joined Apr 3, 2010
Vac pak works and don't worry about crystals, it is only sugar and in cooking will dissolve.

Latest posts

Top Bottom