Raisin Bread

epi

Joined Apr 29, 2009
Oh boy, I didn't add the dry milk as per the recipe. What would happen to the bread if I forgot to add the dry milk? The aroma is heavenly but I am worried about the taste since I didn't add the dry milk.:mad:

Raisin Bread

Water - 1 1/2 cups + 1 tbsp
Butter - 2 tbsp
Bread flour - 4 cups
dry milk - 2 tbsp
Sugar - 2 1/2 tbsp
salt - 1 1/4 tsp
Ground cinnamon - 1 1/4 tsp
Dry Yeast - 2 1/4 tsp
Raisins - 1 cup

Joined Feb 13, 2008
Thanks for including your ingredient list.

As a general rule, milk in bread dough makes for a spongier, more regular crumb; a slightly sweeter taste; and effects the rising characteristics -- more out of the oven, than actual oven-spring.

So, what you can expect is a chewier crumb; a bit more yeast to the taste, and maybe even a little tang. The rise? Well, ideally you didn't "punch down" until the dough had acheived adequate volume (as opposed to punching down by the clock); you didn't completely flatten the dough; you didn't flatten the dough during formation; etc.

In thoery anyway.

So? Nu?

You'll be cutting slices in a few hours, let us know.

epi

Joined Apr 29, 2009
In reference to your first paragraph, thanks for the explanation. And what if I tell you that you are 100% correct about the chewier taste and the yeast.:thumb:

Enjoy what's left of the day

Cheers!

Joined Feb 13, 2008
Epi,

Can we assume the bread was still delicious? Would you bake it without milk, or less milk on purpose?

As to the accuracy of my predictions: Nice to be right when you write.

BDL

epi

Joined Apr 29, 2009
Yes, it was still delicious and no I will not bake it without the milk. Tried it with the milk last Sunday and it has a better (softer) taste.

Sorry for the late reply
:peace:

Login | Facebook

Top Bottom