Rabbit anatomy lesson, focus on removing silver skin, "visceral" fat

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by pwnsevelt, Jan 30, 2015.

1. pwnsevelt

pwnsevelt

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hey, ChefTalk! Long time lurker, first time posting.  I acquired a beautiful rabbit to attempt a Fergus Henderson meat pie, but I'm worried my hamfisted and ignorant handling may abuse this wonderful animal.  I've removed the kidneys, heart and liver and am saving those for...well, something yet decided (please feel free to suggest something!).  I'm having trouble with removing the silver skin and am wondering if I'm cutting correctly.  It seems like there's a fair amount of fat around what I understand is called the saddle.  I'm removing a fair amount of stuff, not just the skin, but I'm wondering also if I've gotten it all.  I've tried to label this picture to visualize my dilemma.  What would you do?

1. I've been studiously removing the "B" layer, and think I need to go deeper.  Is "A" another layer of silver skin? Do I ultimately want to reach the "C" layer?

2. Also, in the rabbit cavity, i see lots of what looks like fat.  From my cursory internet research it sounds like this is not desirable and should be removed and discarded.  Is this true?

3. After I color this, we're to roast covered in chicken stock and red wine for a couple hours until the meat is tender.  I've not found many specific temperature recommendations, but was guestimating 325 would suffice.  What do you think?

Thank you in advance!

nicko likes this.
  2. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Welcome to Cheftalk.

You're on the right track.

You are correct in that you are working with the saddle.
    "B" is edible too so don't throw it away.

I've always left it on when I removed the loins and used it to wrap around them for cooking.

"A" is the loin and has a small amount of silverskin to remove.

Also....if you are going to braise this for "a couple hours" in stock and wine, you will have mush when done.

Rabbit cooks like chicken....bout an hour.

325 is fine.

3. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    trim visible surface silver skin, ignore the rest. Same for fat, take off what is easy to get too. Don't sweat the small stuff and cook it and eat! I have skinned/gutted them and put them on a spit over a campfire without much other trimming and they turn out fine.

4. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I just pull off what I can then section it - fore legs, hinds, saddle and ribs.  I like to brown it then slow cook it with rehydrated wild mushrooms, wine, shallot, garlic, thyme, etc.  

5. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Not only does it taste like chicken, it also cooks like chicken. I like it cut up in 8 s then dredged in seasoned flour, then sautéed in a heavy pan over medium fire. served with a brown pan demi with boysenberries .

6. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I am raising my own rabbits and slaughtering and butchering them myself. That small amount of silverskin is essentially inconsequential, to be honest. And, as @chefedb  said, it cooks like chicken.