Quiz: Which Milk Makes Which Cheese? (Test Your Knowledge III)

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by mudbug, May 16, 2001.

1. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
  2. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Well, I didn't do so well myself.... surely there are some cheese lovers out there....

Quiz: Which Milk Makes Which Cheese?
    Cows are incredibly productive. They may look like they're just taking up space standing in that field, but they produce more than 13,400 pounds of milk each in the 305 days that they are milked each year. They put to shame the lowly goat, which produces 1,420 pounds in only 240 milking days each year. And don't even mention the shameful sheep — only 440 pounds of milk in 180 days. (They take more than half the year off, for heaven's sake!)

Is it any wonder that the great majority of the world's cheeses come from cow's milk?

We have no idea how much milk water buffalo produce, but their milk has been turned into mozzarella since the 2nd Century. And it still is, both in Italy and modestly in the United States, although most mozzarella nowadays is made from cow's milk. There are also water buffalo-milk versions of ricotta and mascarpone. But they're hard to find.

Of course, many well-known cheeses are made with cow's milk or goat's milk, or cow's milk or sheep's milk — some cheeses are made from a combination of cow's, goat's, and sheep's milk. In this quiz, identify the type of milk traditionally used to make the following cheeses:

Camembert
    Munster (Géromé) Cheddar
    Chèvre
    Feta Provolone
    Neufchâtel
    Emmental Montrachet
    Brindamour
    French Raclette Bleu
    Reblochon
    Pecorino Romano Italian Ricotta
    Pavé
    Brie Parmigiano-Reggiano
    Manchego
    Boursin Persillé
    Asiago
    Leicester Gruyère
    Gorgonzola
    Roquefort Ricotta Salata
    Ragusano
    Kasseri Bourseault
    Limburger
    Fontainebleue Tronchon
    Zamorano
    Fontina Appenzeller
    Gjetöst

Click here for the answers...

3. svadhisthana

svadhisthana

I was suprised as well. Interesting, thanks for posting it.

Svadhisthana

4. greg

greg

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Yikes, cchiu! That was a tough one! I didn't do so well, myself. I grew up in Wisconsin, you can't imagine the shame! :eek:

5. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    That's rather humorous Greg, guess being in Wisconsin doesn't guarantee knowledge of the cheeses! By the way, have you checked your email lately? I messaged you a little while ago... Let me know if you got it. Thanks! ;)

6. greg

greg

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    In Wisconsin, we're too busy eating cheese to have any time to learn about it! At least that's the story I plan to stick with. For some reason, I've had difficulties getting into my cheftalk mail. I'll try again today.