Quitting...

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by guts, Apr 12, 2012.

1. guts

guts

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    I always see threads here about how to go about going to school or getting a job, but I haven't really seen any about how to quit, whether you're leaving a horrible place you hate or moving on from somewhere you really love... It can be tough and make you feel guilty if the crew is like a family to you.

2. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Always TRY to leave with proper notice and on good terms.  I know this is hard at times but in long run could pay off.. As far as leaving staff and friends, you have to do whats best for you., you can still keep in touch.

3. netefrog

netefrog

Exp:
    Line Cook
    It's always a tough go because we become so tight with our co-workers. Like chefedb said, make sure to give your notice and leave on good terms, dont burn your bridges.

4. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    One should plan an exit strategy before accepting employment, in other words:
    • define what conditions would make you want to leave
    • define what conditions would entice you to leave
    • define how you would leave
    Think of it as a "business plan" for your career and update it regularly as your motivation(s), working condition(s), and aspiration(s) change.

Remember, you are building your career and you want a firm foundation that maintains your ethics, integrity, and professional development.