Chef Forum banner

quil eggs... ideas anyone?

2K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  slavegirl 
#1 ·
i went to an asian martket the other day and i saw quil eggs at a cheap price so i bought them. i have never used them before. does anyone have any ideas?

thanks

#2 ·
Just in case, how about Quail eggs benedict and caviar; you can also poach them; chilled asparagus salad with soft quail eggs and lemon aioli; or Potato Latkes with Smoked Salmon, Quail Eggs and Sevruga Caviar. The latter can be found on williams-sonoma.com and type "quail eggs" in the recipe search box.

#3 ·
They make a great garnish for other dishes, either poached or fried sunny side up. I also have made deviled quail eggs as an hors or a garnish. Scooped out, they make great hors, as they are much smaller than regular eggs.

#4 ·
Quail eggs can be embedded in other foods as a garnish. For instance, crab cakes with a hard boiled quail egg embedded on top would be great.

Several fried sunny side up would look wonderful on top of risotto for a cute garnish and a dab of protein.

Hard boiled and sliced would be nice too - for salads, etc.

#6 ·
Here's a recipe that used quail eggs that I found in a French cooking magazine a few years back. It makes a nice starter.

Œufs de Caille Cocotte à la Forestière

200 grams brown mushrooms, cleaned and minced
1 shallot, minced
juice from 1/2 lemon
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon cream
salt and pepper to taste
9 large leaves of flat leaf parsley, chiffonade
6 quail eggs
4 slices baguette

1. Preheat broiler.

2. Combine mushrooms, shallot and lemon juice. Melt butter in a nonstick frying pan over high heat. Fry mushroom mixture until the expelled liquid has evaporated. Add cream and continue cooking for a minute. Remove from heat and add salt, pepper and parsley.

3. Divide mushrooms into two small ramekins. Make a well in each. Carefully break the eggs and place 3 in each of the wells. Broil for a couple of minutes until the whites begin to coagulate.

4. Serve with baguette.

Yield: 2 servings.

Ref: Guide Cuisine, Autumn supplement 1997, page 10.

#8 ·
Believe it or not another great dish to do with quail eggs is to put them in the center of ravioli. make ur dough and what ever filling u'd like personally i like sweet potato make a small well and crack the egg into the center carefully covering it with the top layer of pasta dough. Poach it for about 1-3min and then serv with a nice sage butter :chef:

#9 ·
It's funny, Just today I was thumbing through my April Wine Spectator, (Classic New York Edition:)) and they had a feature on Diver Scallops.

Theres a beautiful Photo from Cafe Boulud of seared Diver scallops over a puree of sweet peas and topped with poached quail eggs, very spring and pretty dish.

#10 ·
riverrun's post reminded me: there's a Tunisian filled savory pastry called "brik a` l'oeuf" that has a whole, raw egg included with the fillling. So after it's cooked and you bite in, the egg yolk squishes out. If you wanted to make miniatures, quail eggs would be perfect. Claudia Roden has a recipe in The New Book of Middle Eastern Food.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.