Quick, dumb gelatin question

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by compassrose, May 3, 2002.

1. compassrose

compassrose

Uh... what's a "package"? I've got this cake recipe, and the filling calls for "½ package of plain gelatin." No explanation, no helpful measures. I have -- guess what -- bulk gelatin.

So what's a package, and how much should I use?

thanks,
    CR

2. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Assuming the recipe is referring to granular gelatin, and equates "package" with "envelope" then:

since 1 envelope contains 1/4 oz. (weight) or about 1 Tablespoon (volume) -- you'll need 1/8 oz. or 1 1/2 tsps.

Hope this helps.

3. compassrose

compassrose

Ah! thank you!

4. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Glad to help. Don't you HATE it when they do that? I've got a recipe for an incredible, really easy chocolate terrine that I can't make anymore, because the recipe call for "1 bar of XXXXX chocolate" -- which of course I can no longer find. :( Well, I guess it's better for my hips that way.

5. brreynolds

brreynolds

Suzanne:

Is the problem you have with that recipe just that you don't know the weight and composition of a bar of "XXXXX chocolate?" If so, there's probably a way we can find that out. If you know it, how old is the recipe, and where did it come from (e.g., east coast of US, Germany, etc.)? Or at least where did you get it from, since if it isn't from a book, there's a good chance whoever gave it to you modified it a bit.

BR

6. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Thanks for the offer, BR. I'll try to dig out the recipe from my files, and start another thread. Should have known people here would be so helpful!