Quick Comparison?

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by keithdaman666, May 15, 2017.

1. keithdaman666

keithdaman666

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Looking at getting a cheap knife to use at a temp job, 25cm is a must for me. I have fairly decent stones so factory edge isn't an issue either.. I'm looking at these possible.

Will these be much/any difference? Any input welcome. Thanks

2. foody518

foody518

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Are there cheap knives accessible to you without a full fingerguard bolster?

3. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Have no idea what these knives are like, but for the price I'm guessing thick at the edge and real soft steel, and you'll need a grinding wheel to get rid of the ridiculous bolster protrusion.  You might do better with a typical NSF knife like a Fibrox, you can always grind those clunky handles down with a dremel and small sanding drum bit.

4. keithdaman666

keithdaman666

Exp:
    Sous Chef

Something like this perhaps?
    Thanks for the replys so far

5. foody518

foody518

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Sure, in that you won't have a bolster to grind down. Blade profile looks like it's a little different than your original 2 links, so as long as you have an idea of what you prefer. Handle has the same characteristics as what Rick Alan describes above

I'm thinking there should be knives with the same profile as your original links sans fingerguard. I know there are cheap NSF knives made to that shape, just not sure names of the UK offerings

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  6. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    The Fibrox might cost more but will undoutably have a thinner grind and perhaps also harder steel than the mercer, profiles look about the same though.