Quick and simple question.

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by jmr095802, Mar 25, 2019.

1. jmr095802

jmr095802

Exp:
    phil1028
    I would like to make (can) some more quick and easy salsa. However, tomatoes are not in season. Can I use fresh peppers and onions along with canned tomatoes and process them ok?

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I think it would work but the quality might be off.

One of the issues in canning both tomatoes and salsa is being sure that your pH is safe. Starting your salsa with canned tomatoes will have a different pH than with fresh tomatoes as they've already been canned once. Unless you're able to accurately measure pH I don't think it's worth altering a recipe because of the safety risk. Now yes. using canned tomatoes will make the salsa more acidic most likely which is the direction of safety, but the resut might be too sour as well.

When someone hands me a jar of their custom home canned salsa, i always just compost it. It's not worth the risk to me unless they followed a developed and tested recipe.

3. sgsvirgil

sgsvirgil

Exp:
    Retired Owner/Operator
    You can buy litmus strips which will give you a good idea of the salsa's Ph. If the salsa is not acidic enough, you can add some sort of citric acid such as lime juice/lemon juice or a bit of distilled white vinegar.

Just curious, but, why would you want to can salsa this time of year when tomatoes are not fresh and wonderful?? Not being judgie....just trying to understand. :)

4. jmr095802

jmr095802

Exp:
    phil1028
    Thanks. Makes sense. Never thought about the PH or even salt content. I think I may just try a small batch with the store bought tomatoes and see how it turns out.

5. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    You can get PH test strips on Amazon for super cheap.