Chef Forum banner

Quick and Dirty A Au Jus for Tri - Tip ????

11K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  deltadude 
#1 ·
Tomorrow I'm doing a BBQ for about 30, Tri Tip will be the main course, cooked over a gas grill.

I know this has been asked before, but i'm headed out to the store, and don't have time to search.

Ideas for a quick and dirty but tasty Au Jus, since the meat is grilled I won't have pan juices to do with [its own] juice"; jus is the juice itself. I don't have access to Demi Glace, I do have beef base, and or bullion.

Your help is appreciated..

#2 ·
Sure.

Here's an easy au jus variant good for grilling.

Saute some chopped onion or shallot in butter over medium heat -- but without letting the butter burn. If you like, you may make a "pincage" adding a tsp or two of tomato paste, but that's not necessary. Very finely chopped fresh rosemary is another option. If you do use tomato paste, before it's well cooked before deglazing.

Deglaze with a quantity of red wine. Add enough base to make normally concentrated "stock" out of whatever volume of wine you used; then add half as much water as you used wine. Add a tbs of worcestershire per cup of stock, and reduce all by about 40% - 50%.

If you like, you can mount some butter into it, but you'll never get much structure. You may also throw in some chopped parsley at the end, if you like parsley on your beef.

Test for salt before serving -- the base should make the whole thing salty enough already.

BDL

#3 ·
 BDL that sounds nice but for a "quick and dirty" I use what we always used in the family style places I worked at and that was beef base with water. Make sure you get a good quality beef base and you are good to go. I would definitely would not monte au burre an au jus it goes again the structure of the sauce in my opinion. 

#4 · (Edited)
Excellent info from two pros that I respect.

What do you think of once your get your basic au jus or sauce, throwing in pico de gallo, to give it a mex or more rustic flavor, with bits of the pico de gallo served in the sauce not strained.  Thickened just so slightly with corn starch so the texture just does run like au jus, but lightly coats the back of a spoon?   Or would there be a more pro way to slightly thicken?

#5 ·
I think BDL's dirty jus sounds good.  Cornflourch(cornstarch) alurry) work well and holds better than arrowroot.  Whilst arrowroot is clearer, it degrades and thins out again more quickly.  Cornflour is cloudy but holds.

The pico de gallo certainly would give a Mexican touch - as long as everyone who is coming can take the spice - whether you could serve it separately as a salsa may be an idea for those who want it....just a thought.

Hope its a great BBQ

#6 · (Edited)
The pico de gallo certainly would give a Mexican touch - as long as everyone who is coming can take the spice - whether you could serve it separately as a salsa may be an idea for those who want it....just a thought.
Hope its a great BBQ
I usually serve Tri Tip with pico de gallo on the side, same with some kind of au jus or pan sauce. The reason is while 7 out of 10 times the meat come out really good, there are those times where it is over cooked slightly, so just having something ready to add a little juice rather than at last second, cut the meat oops its over cooked, now I got to do something. Plus the next day, when making sandwiches, warming the meat up in the sauce, YEAH baby it sooo good.

Yes I hope all goes well too, it could rain, and be slightly windy. I appreciate the thoughts....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.