#2 ·
1 dozen large eggs
1 quart half and half
season with:
salt
pepper
nutmeg
dash of Tabasco

With fillings, this should make 2-3 large deep dish quiches (9"daimeter x 2 1/2" deep round fluted quiche pans.
I bake them for about 1 hour at 325F until tops are slightly puffed and jiggle like pudding. When cool, the filling is nice and silky.

#5 ·
That's three answers with a wide range. The ratio of liquid to eggs for each of the above answers is as follows:

foodnfoto => 2.4 [48 oz liquid:20 oz eggs]

chiffonade => 3.2 [16 oz liquid:5 oz eggs]

Svadhisthana => 3.7 [6.3 oz liquid:1.7 oz eggs]

I suspect that the custard holding the quiche together becomes lighter as the liquid to egg ratio increases. In looking through some of my recipes that involve custards, I find ratios similar to the above. But here's recipe for quiche aux asperges vertes et au parmesan that has a ratio of 1:1 -- and it still works.

#8 ·
I've used the Julia Child ratio (one large egg plus cream to make 1/2 cup) successfully for years. However, if you add any high water content ingredients to the filling (like spinach or broccoli for example) you need to make allowances for the extra liquid. The filling won't set up properly otherwise.

Jock

#9 ·
thanks jock.

i made my quiche today earlier tonight. i used 8 eggs to 1 qt cream. i added cheese, herbs, and pesto. i decided to make it "crustless". i am going to chill it and then cut out small circles and serve them on a platter. i am going to garnish it with little fried, purple potatoe chips. if they turn out the way i vision, they should look nice. seemed to turn out ok when i baked them.

thanks again all.

#12 ·
I recently saw a quiche recipe where the "crust" was made with paper thin slices of potatoes, lightly spray with oil and pre-baked. If can also be done with rice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.