Questions

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by kylec06, Jan 25, 2002.

1. kylec06

kylec06

Hello all chefs! My name is Kyle Cross and I am doing a report on careers at my school. I was wondering if a couple chefs out there would like to answer some questions for my report. I have to turn my report in next week so if you guys could respond A.S.A.P. that would great! Thanks a lot!

Q.Why did you choose this profession?

Q.How much does and average chef make an hour?

Q.Are there any benifits to being a chef?

Q.How long does a chefs career usually last?

Q.Where did you go to college to become a chef or culinary artist?

Q.How many years did you attend college?

Q.What classes did you have to take in college to become a chef?

Q.Where should a "beginner" start their career?

Q.What does a "begineer" usually make an hour?

Q.Are the first years of being a chef hard?

Q.How hard is it to find a job as a chef?

Q.When did you realize you wanted to be a chef?

Thanks a lot for answering there questions I really appreciate it! I'll tell my teacher I couldn't have done it without you guys! LoL! Thanks.

2. davewarne

davewarne

A. It seemed like a good idea at the time. Seriously, my family had been in catering for 2 generations and I found I was good at it.

A. How long's a bit of string? My estimate £7-10( $10-13?)

A. Job satisfaction. Self reliance. Varied work. Job security (up to a point)

A. Depends how hard you work. Busy line chefs 'burn out at 40-45 ( I read that on this board ) but I was being taught by chefs in their 60's. Escoffier was cooking into his 80's I think.

A. Westminster Hotel School, London

A. 3 years full time.

A. Cookery practical and theory. Maths,English,French,Hygiene & Nutrition, Food Commodities, Kitchen Organisation, Wines

A. A Local restaurant to see if they have the aptitude for kitchens, then college.

A. Lets say minimum wage, about £4-£4.50 in the U.K.

A. The first years are exciting -- it's all new.

A. I've always worked for the family or myself but at the moment there is a big shortage of chefs in the U.K. so finding a job shouldn't be too hard.

A. At 14 when I joined the girls in Home Economics. 2 boys and 20 girls certainly made it interesting.

Hope this helps

David

3. devotay

devotay

Exp:
    Professional Chef

If you do what you love you never have to work

It obviously depends on experience and location. Most chefs are salaried and it can range from about $22,000 to ridiculous amounts. A line cook here in Iowa City, with 3 years experience, can make $9.50 to $12.50

Far too many to list. Chief among them, for me anyway, is that I get to see other people get as passionate about food as I am.

Depends on your burn-out threshhold, but it can be a lifetime career.

I attended Coe College, where I got a BA, then attended New England Culinary Institute (NECI), where I also taught for a couple years.

College was 5 years (I'm a little slow) and Culinary school, usually a 2 year program, was 1 year for me. I tested out of the first year and went "advanced placement"

Study Business!! Culinary schools tend not to emphasize that aspect enough.

At a local, INDEPENDENT restaurant. Stay away from chains, they are the bain of the culinary world.

Minimum wage, or up to $7.50

All the years of being a chef are hard

In this economy, kinda rough. In the local paper today, I see that there are 5 restaurant job postings where once there were 3 columns-worth. But everybody's gotta eat, so there will always be a demand for our talents.

I always loved to cook, but a visit to Chez Panisse 21 years ago made me realize that it was a true calling.

Hope this helps. Be sure to post your report here!

Peace,
    kmf

4. chiffonade

chiffonade

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I wanted to apply my cooking ability to something that gives me rewards while I'm doing it instead of just being happy about the paycheck.

Well, if you're Wolfgang Puck, it's in the millions per year and if you're just starting out, it's way down the pay scale. You've got to start somewhere!

You get to eat decent food nearly all the time. You get to feed your family well and lavish your friends with your creations.

As long as her/his feet and stamina last. Being on your feet all day for up to 16-18 hours, you need a great deal of energy. And even after a chef leaves the kitchen, they're not far from one.

Peter Kump's New York Cooking School, New York City.

My courses were spread over about 2 years because I studied at night after work.

My school was devoted to cooking but your question brings up another point...A chef should concentrate on a specialty, if she/he has one. For instance, if your passion is pastry, then you should take pastry courses and concentrate on baking chemistry. If you want to open your own restaurant, you need an intense focus on the management and financial end of a restaurant; if you want to cook for someone else, you can focus on an ethnicity like French or Spanish - whatever type of cuisine you aspire to prepare. I cook many different ethnic cuisines - the only one I took in school was French.

First, by going to school, then by apprenticing in a restaurant under someone you trust. Best case scenario - the school can place you in a restaurant where it has an arrangement.

You don't want to know.

Incredibly.

Depends...fine dining positions are hard to come by and the competition is ferocious. Proving yourself is the name of the game. The better reputation you build, the more in demand you become.

When I realized I enjoyed boiling eggs as a child...there was no turning back.