Questions and ideas for following

Joined Sep 28, 2014
Hello all,

I have a some questions about how some of may have done certain things. So here it goes.
The owner is opening a Mediterranean style steakhouse, his focus is more greek/Mediterranean flavors with the classical steakhouse type menu.
Baked potatoes..how do you hold your baked potatoes for service without a food warmer or is that necessary. Oven would be used during service any other way to old them for service and how long do you get before you cant use, etc....
Also potatoes sides like green lemon potatoes, best way to keep those for service? Just heat and to order in oven or what have you done for similar potatoes. Figuring both would be a high volume side.

Also... any ideas that you have that may fit in this style of restaurant would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again chefs and stay strong during this pandemic.

Joined Dec 23, 2004
Without a dedicated warmer you can use a low oven or place them up in the heat window. Plan on holding them for an hour or less in that case. Not a big issue IMO as potatoes are cheap and the uses for old ones are plentiful (eg your hashbrowns and twice baked potatoes will be old bakes, there's potato skins, American fries, baked potato soup, etc).

Once you pull them from use, let them cool for a little bit then right into the walk-in. Be safe with them and treat them like a valuable resource not a leftover.

Joined Sep 17, 2018
Just be sure to be careful hot holding and storing cooked potatoes, they are considered a PHF.

Joined Oct 22, 2020
If they are foil wrapped hold them for no more than 2 hours and do not reuse them. More than once there have been cases of botulism from storing foil wrapped potatoes at inadequate temperatures. For short periods of time you can keep them under a heat lamp.

Joined Aug 15, 2003
I dunno if it's a good idea to open a steakhouse based on a cuisine that historically isn't based on a lot of beef...seems an odd choice.

I like Greek food a lot but I don't think the flavors are going to work well in a steakhouse setting...I tend to think of Greek and Med food as having a lot of really strong, bright, briny flavors (again, which I love) which work well for things like lamb, goat, and seafood (even poultry to a degree.)

But if I'm paying good money for a steakhouse steak, I want to taste the flavor of the beef and feel like it could clash with stronger flavors.

I suppose a deft hand could find a nice balance--some of the non-prestige cuts of beef work very well with bright flavors (I think skirt, flank, tri-tip, etc)--but if I'm going to a steakhouse I'm there for 1 thing (can you guess?)

So I guess I don't have a ton of ideas for you but just a bit of commentary.

Top Bottom