Question

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
We're not painting pictures, were serving people food that could get them seriously ill or even kill them if not served properly .
And we can't do that if we are all inked up?  Having a tattoo or facial hair somehow makes us less serious about the food we serve?
You say don't serve it if you wouldn't serve it to your mom; or don't say it if you wouldn't say it in front of your mom or guests in a fine dining room....
Does your mom have tattoos?? I don't think so.

My Mom doesn't have a tattoo but my daughter's Mom does (my wife) and I know many, many Moms that do.  That is just an asinine, outdated point nowadays with tattoos being so commonplace.
Do you see tattoos in professional environments? No.
Does your local dentist or Doctor have tattoos? Probably not.
Another outdated point.  I've seen doctors, dentists, lawyers, etc. with tattoos.  Most of them wear their tattoos where they are covered by long sleeves and long pants but when in short sleeves and shorts they are fully exposed.  It also seems to be generational with older professionals not sporting ink while younger ones showing off their pieces.  Since chefs often wear short sleeves and/or chef jackets with the sleeves rolled up their ink is visible.
Do you see tattoos in politics? No. Do we elect Presidents with tattoos? No. So if we want respect, maybe we should start treating ourselves with respect and stop permanently inking our skin.
Not often seen...yet, but seeing as many of our politicians are ex military there is a very good chance that they are sporting ink as the vast majority of veterans sport 1 or more tattoos.  It won't be long before we see high ranking politicians proudly displaying their ink.

Last edited:
Joined Dec 12, 2013
I don't know why the title of "cook" is still so looked down upon in society/media. But, I would love for that to change. Perhaps it's because the standards to become a "chef" are so incredibly lax in 2016.

In regards to professionalism, I truly believe tattoos have NO place in the restaurant business. Neither FOH nor BOH should have any tattoos, especially not any that are visible. It is not professional to have tattoos.

You say don't serve it if you wouldn't serve it to your mom; or don't say it if you wouldn't say it in front of your mom or guests in a fine dining room....
Does your mom have tattoos?? I don't think so. Mine sure doesn't.

Do you see tattoos in professional environments? No.
Does your local dentist or Doctor have tattoos? Probably not.
Do you see tattoos in politics? No. Do we elect Presidents with tattoos? No. So if we want respect, maybe we should start treating ourselves with respect and stop permanently inking our skin.

You really need to leave whatever planet you're on. Your way of thinking is dangerous especially to the industry and very narrow minded. My chef is tatted up everywhere and he was nominated for a James beard award. Is he not professional? **** outta here dude get a life. Some of the best chefs I've worked for have tattoos. That's what's great about our industry, we don't judge. You're mindset is trying to change that and it's inappropriate.

Joined Aug 21, 2004
You really need to leave whatever planet you're on. Your way of thinking is dangerous especially to the industry and very narrow minded. My chef is tatted up everywhere and he was nominated for a James beard award. Is he not professional? **** outta here dude get a life. Some of the best chefs I've worked for have tattoos. That's what's great about our industry, we don't judge. You're mindset is trying to change that and it's inappropriate.
I wouldn't swear to it, but it seems as though you just judged.

Joined Dec 12, 2013
Yes, it's "art", sure. ...

But, lets not forget we're serving people food.

Unlike other art... people put this art in their bodies so that they may become nourished. People usually don't arrive at restaurants full of food and water. Often times people may be famished. Not only is this "art" going to go into their mouth, through their digestion system and throughout their bodies....this is going to happen at a time when they are starving, their bodies are lacking nutrients and highly susceptible to damage.

Considering this , we should probably take this art form a little bit more serious than your local tuner shop who put "hella camber bro!!" on your Toyota Camry.

We're not painting pictures, were serving people food that could get them seriously ill or even kill them if not served properly .

I also have to add that this is the most ridiculous post I have ever seen....

Joined Oct 10, 2005
"Do you see tattoos in politics, do we elect presidents with tattoos?"

(couldn't find the original pist from mdm to quotecthis from)

Who, in their sane and sober mind, would look at a politician as a role model?

Joined Dec 12, 2013
Would you say it is fair to say that you are pretty narrow minded when it comes to narrow minded people? :~) :lol:  

No I would say that anyone who says that foolery about tattoos and not being professional has a narrow mind. Problem? That 1950's way of thinking doesn't fly anymore.

Joined Mar 16, 2016
And people seriously wonder why our generation is going down the toilet? People wonder why we expect everything we want; the older generation wonders why we are lazy sloths. ... And just FYI; I'm in my mid 20's, so I'm part of this generation....

A way of expression? Yea, so is murder and terrorist attacks; but I don't think those are good ideas either.

Have some self control.

A unique form of expression? I seriously hope that was a joke.

Joined Mar 16, 2016
Write a book, create new recipes, start a restaurant, write a cookbook, think of how to create the "perfect" and most efficient line that a kitchen has ever seen, get in shape, modify your car to make it unique (or perhaps uniquely clean and tidy), get really good at a sport, start woodworking, paint, try ice sculptures and create any sculpture you can dream of... Etc etc. etc.

There are literally probably millions of ways to express yourself besides permanently inking your skin. God did not give you tattoos. God has also told us to treat our bodies like temples. . Having a tattoo is going against him.

Joined Dec 23, 2004
I wouldn't fire someone for having tattoos or pass on an otherwise suitable candidate, but I personally don't have much interest in them.  I have none nor can I think of anything I'm sure I'd want on my body forever.  Personally when I see a bunch of tats I see it as a sign of someone who cares way too much what other people think of him or her.  A very high "HEY LOOK AT ME!!!" factor seems to be in evidence.  It seems to be a sign of conformity, too, a badge of the in-crowd that the tattoo owners is identifying with.

Paradoxically though I think tats on women are kind of hot./img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif

Joined Mar 16, 2016
I wouldn't fire someone for having tattoos or pass on an otherwise suitable candidate, but I personally don't have much interest in them.  I have none nor can I think of anything I'm sure I'd want on my body forever.  Personally when I see a bunch of tats I see it as a sign of someone who cares way too much what other people think of him or her.  A very high "HEY LOOK AT ME!!!" factor seems to be in evidence.  It seems to be a sign of conformity, too.....

Thank-you. This /\ to the nth degree!!
Took the words right out of my mouth .

That is one of my main problems with them... What problems do you have going on in your life that are so severe you are lacking self-confidence to the point of inking up your skin permanently to show "self-expression".

I have never said I would fire or not hire an otherwise qualified candidate for a job in my kitchen just because they have tattoos. Everybody is different. Everybody also makes mistakes; some people may have tattoos they regret completely.
I'm still friends with a gentleman who burglarized my house while I was away on vacation; I was taught to always forgive.
I was also taught that only the Creator himself can judge.

I've worked with a chef who had both arms completely covered with tattoos (sleeves I believe they're called).. Never once did I think about looking at him any differently or think of him as any less qualified than another chef. ...
That being said ; we were not working together in a Michelin star restaurant, it was just a corporate chain. If I was the one hiring/firing staff at a Michelin star restaurant or a restaurant that I want to be formal, I would NOT hire a chef covered in tattoos. If he has one on his ankle that says something like "RIP GRANDMA KATHY" that I could never see if not told
about it , then fine, no problem . But , for a upscale restaurant that wants to strive for perfection, visible tattoos are not part of the equation.

Last edited:
Joined Mar 16, 2016
One thing I pride myself on is the fact that I'm in this industry by choice . I said "I want to be a chef and open restaurants!" when I was 9 or 10 years old . I had my first cookbook at 11. I did not fail other industries or be a troublemaker in school who wanted to do the opposite of their parents. I didn't go and get a bunch of tattoos in my early days and then years down the road realize "I need a job , hey, cooking seems easy enough. Let's go work at a restaurant!"

I've always had this dream and have always considered what I need to do to achieve it. I take this industry seriously and would hope MOST people in this industry for the same reason....

Joined Dec 12, 2013
Write a book, create new recipes, start a restaurant, write a cookbook, think of how to create the "perfect" and most efficient line that a kitchen has ever seen, get in shape, modify your car to make it unique (or perhaps uniquely clean and tidy), get really good at a sport, start woodworking, paint, try ice sculptures and create any sculpture you can dream of... Etc etc. etc.

There are literally probably millions of ways to express yourself besides permanently inking your skin. God did not give you tattoos. God has also told us to treat our bodies like temples. . Having a tattoo is going against him.

Now you're bringing god into this? Not everyone believes in that so put that argument away, that's not logical. I've never met anyone in their mid 20's feel that way about tattoos, which is pretty sad. You're in the strong minority for good reason. Never judge somebody just because they have tattoos. Not hiring someone because of that is discriminatory and insane. You will never move up the chain of command in a GOOD restaurant with that narrow minded and outdated attitude. Maybe in a little corporate setup, but not in the real world where it's 2016 and people are thinking clearly and not discriminating.

Joined Oct 10, 2005
Hold on there Karl....

Both of my kids are in their 20's and don't like ink, coincidentally their partners don't have ink either.

Not hiring because of visible ink is not descriminatory, if my customers are uncomfortable with it, then I will reflect that preference. Not hiring becausebof race, religion, etc. is illegal, but ink? No.

Joined Jan 4, 2011
WOW. Just freakin' WOW.

I'll say it again ...
"We work in kitchens ... It ain'te rocket surgery."

Last edited:
Joined Oct 23, 2013
I cant believe I read all that! LoLs. Been a while.

Whats up Chefchat!

Im too cheap to spend money on tats but who cares anyway. Keep it up guys ( secretly prays the kids will keepworking when he leaves)! Good debate I think.

What was the question though?

Carry on. ( leaves the room puzzled)

Kids these days.

Joined Dec 19, 2015
This seems to be getting hot in here, but I just wanted to throw an actual fact out- Teddy Roosevelt had a tattoo.  And it is not judgmental or narrow minded to say he was one of the greatest Presidents in American history.  And many other Presidents are rumored to have tattoos (although mostly circling military) but he is the only confirmed one.  IMHO his tattoo has zero effect on his professionalism, craft or integrity. 

Joined Jul 18, 2016
most chefs are artistic and cultured ...we try to reinvent our selves on a regular basis..we express ourselves in different ways...don't judge....make great food

Joined Dec 12, 2013
Hold on there Karl....

Both of my kids are in their 20's and don't like ink, coincidentally their partners don't have ink either.

Not hiring because of visible ink is not descriminatory, if my customers are uncomfortable with it, then I will reflect that preference. Not hiring becausebof race, religion, etc. is illegal, but ink? No.

I find that very disturbing that a customer would find tattoos "uncomfortable". That's simply ridiculous and one of the problems with the world, being judgemental. I see your argument somewhat because you have your own business, but considering a great amount of talented chefs are tatted up I don't see why there is even a debate on this. There's nothing wrong with your kids not having ink, I don't even have any myself either. But to not hire someone in a fine dining kitchen because of that is something of a fantasy tale. They care if you can cook, not what's on your skin.

Latest posts

Top Bottom