Question

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by adambower998, Sep 1, 2016.

1. adambower998

adambower998

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    What's up guys,

I have a question and wanted to get some opinions from you.  

I work as a chef at a small restaurant.  There are 3 chefs total.  When I am on shift it's just me and the head chef, covering during lunch and evening service.

I am responsible for larder, evening starters, pizzas, and deserts on my section.  So basically I make soups, chowder, pizza dough and pizzas of all kinds, and deserts such as cakes, brulee, cheesecake, etc.  It is my responsibility to make sure my section is under control with regards to everything being fresh and made to the specs that the head chef requires, and of course controlling stock levels and making sure we're on point with that.  There are probably about 30-40 items to take care of total on my section.

My question is:  what kind of chef would you consider me to be?  That is, what is my job title?  I'm leaving soon and need to update my resume and get my job title right.  

Thanks for your input.

Adam 

2. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    chef de partie

3. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    "Chef with a JOB"

4. phaedrus

phaedrus

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    What country do you live in? Chef de partie would be the high falootin name in the US.  Most would call the position 'line cook'.

5. cfood047

cfood047

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Don't down play the" line cook" you have a lot on your plate and expand your resume to show that you have versatility. 

6. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    LOL, I concur but seeing as how he is responsible for the larder, I assume that he isn't from "round heah". At least I didn't suggest entremetier or some other such term :~)

phaedrus likes this.
  7. adambower998

adambower998

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Ok, cheers guys.  I was assuming I was a Chef de Partie.  My boss is trying to tell me that I am a Commis Chef, but I he doesn't really know what he's talking about (new to the business).    I'm like mate, I f&%king never stop moving and am in charge of three different sections all day, I'm no bloody Commis Chef, haha.  Plus he puts me on the Schedule as a "Sous Chef", but pays me as a Commis Chef.  Weird eh?

Anyway Chef de Partie is what I'm putting on my resume, f&%k all the rest.

I live in England,in a place called Portsmouth.

Thanks for the second opinion!  

Adam

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2016
  8. jimyra

jimyra

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    If you used language like that in my kitchen you would be an unemployed chef.

9. adambower998

adambower998

Exp:
    Professional Chef

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  10. adambower998

adambower998

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    haha...where do you work mate?  the school cafeteria?  lol

11. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I don't where you work mate, but language that you wouldn't use in the dining room of a fine dining restaurant when talking to a guest, shouldn't be used here either. We all may know the words, but we don't have to use them. Using them merely shows a lack of creativity.

12. jay lancaster

jay lancaster

Exp:
    Restaurant Manager
    Says the line cook who wants a title.

It's a joke.  Don't get your knickers in a wad.

eloki likes this.
  13. jimyra

jimyra

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Thank you chef.  I work in Professional atmosphere with people who have a vocabulary that was not picked up in the boys room at school. 

lumpyholiday likes this.
  14. adambower998

adambower998

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Oops, I'm sorry if I offended you guys.  I guess swearing is just part and parcel of my personality, developed as a side effect of hard work and determination.  However I do understand that some people are sensitive to how others speak and get upset easily.   I will be sure to remember that here in future.

15. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Don't worry about it. A lot of people here get all pretty and polished sometimes and act like vocabulary choices are sacred. 

"We work in kitchens ...It ain'te rocket surgery."

meezenplaz likes this.
  16. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    That's too bad because you would be missing out on a lot of great talent.
    I was just listening to NPR, not long ago-don't remember the show and they were discussing this very issue, and recent studies have pretty much dispelled the old myth that excessive use of foul language correlates to a lack of creativity or a lower intelligence. You can read more about it at this article from Scientific American:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/is-swearing-a-sign-of-a-limited-vocabulary/
    Jimyra,

Some of the greatest chefs I know cuss up some the bluest streaks I've ever heard, some of them in multiple languages at once.  I guess those weren't "professional" kitchens.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
    fablesable likes this.
  17. youngchefkarl

youngchefkarl

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Yeah Pete is right.....I've worked with plenty of James beard award winners and nominees, most of them swore. Few don't swear at all. Doesn't make any of them better than each other. But the comments about the no swearing are laughable and overly pretentious.

18. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Keep it consistent.  If you are in a French style brigade then you can be chef de partie, otherwise cook, or lead "larder" cook.  (what is that, pantry in America?)

19. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    It might be laughable and pretentious but one of the rules of the forum is posted below

20. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I agree and have edited numerous posts in the past to change them to meet guidelines and I'm fine with that, but to equate the use of swear words with lack of creativity or as Jimyra does, and imply that "professionals" don't cuss like sailors, I find to be very disingenuous.