Question

Joined Jul 24, 2001
If someone would like to share ideas about whiskeys would this be the right place?
Well some people may think that whiskey has nothing to do with food but if they visit Cambridge they will change their minds!
I have lived in Cambridge for 5 years and I can assure you that whiskey is very much related to food!

:)

Joined Jul 31, 2000
Whisky when used in concert with well prepared stocks add a wonderful smooth,smoky and distict flavor and charector to a finished reduction.

Rosemary,sage,thyme are great herbs to use with whisky
as well as apples,pears.apricots.

I do a tennesse whisky/mollassas pork chop with sage roasted lady apples that my guest enjoy.

Ofcourse bourban bread pudding with whisky anglaise.
apple/whisky mustard on buenderfliesh with grissini and cornichones.
forrellie pear pan dowdy with whisky/caramel sauce

The list is endless:beer:
cc

Joined Oct 20, 2001
Dear Athenaeus:

One of my favorite whiskeys is the "Tullamore Dew". It is a light Irish whiskey (43%) that has a legendary history that dates back before the 10th century when the Irish originated the magic of "Uisce Beatha".

Golden Irish barley and clear spring water, followed by a triple distillation and many years of maturation in oak casks create this mellow tasting "Eau de Vie". It is my favourite for making Irish coffee.

I would like to share with you a recipe that I picked in one of my beloved pubs of Gallway.

CREAM DELIGHT

Makes 6 servings.

2/3 cup uncooked oatmeal
1/3 cup slivered almonds
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
5 tablespoons honey (or to taste)
4 tablespoons Tullamore Dew
1 teaspoon lemon juice

On a baking sheet, toast the oatmeal and almonds at 300 degrees for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Whip the cream, but not too stiff. Stir honey and whiskey into whipped cream. Fold in almonds and oatmeal. Stir in lemon juice. Divide into individual long-stemmed glasses. Serve at room temperature or chilled.

I hope you enjoy it.

Joined Oct 27, 2001
When Italians first arrived in Scotland in the middle of the nineteenth century (and no, no one is sure why on earth they came, the most popular theory is that they were duped into thinking that they had reached the US!) a lot of them declared that they were adapting to Scottish culture by drinking whisky with their meals instead of red wine. . .how long the craze actually lasted for i don't know, but i have heard of people drinking malt whiskey with Chinese food instead of wine - they think it goes much better. I've used it instead of brandy for French Onion soup, but it was a malt and i didn't tell my family. . . such 'sacrelage' is better left unconfessed. ;)

Joined Jul 24, 2001
Thank you very much all of you!

What I had originally in mind was drinking whiskey with meals!
Rachel, I have heard stories of rich Japanese drinking Henessy Paradis with sushi just to show off!

The Dean of Cambridge (King's College) and I am not going to mention his name(!!) , Sir C.R a man of exquisite taste and style, is accustomed to drinking whiskey with his food.I first saw him doing that and at the beginning I was surprised but I discovered that he had a point!

I assure you that it was an experience eating dinner in Cambridge with a glass of Oban with two drops of cold water ( You cannot add ice in a Single Malt!!) in your hands and having Sir Collin talking about food in antiquity...

What else can you drink when you are having haggies?
Of course it has to do with the climate also, drinking whiskey with moussaka, in a hot summer afternoon in Greece is absolutely out of question!

Soshouhar it seems to me that we share the same passion for whiskey. When it comes to whiskey I am getting really serious, you know...
No doubt that you love Hemingway also!

Thanks for your recipe.
Thank you Cape Chef for your suggestions!

Joined Oct 11, 2001
Dear Athenaeus

When I was living in Athens there was a guy , down town, who made whisky by himself, illegal of course.
he could prepare every existing brand!

Does he exist or he is in jail?

:)

Joined Jul 24, 2001
:lol:

Zorba!! He is not in jail!! He is a client of mine!!
You brought such memories to me.
This man was my very first client.
I was a young lawyer and I have rented an office in the centre of Athens in an area with no such a good reputation!!
I didn't have a penny in my pocket and I MEAN THAT.

This man and his illegal whiskey brought me fame and luck.
Whiskey in a brought me luck!

Soshouhar, this friend of mine can produce a barrel of Tullamore Dew for nothing!!

I wouldn't suggest you but sometimes, in Christmas time when the bill for professional gifts gets out of control I start thinking of his suggestion...

Joined Oct 20, 2001
Dear Athenaeus:

I have found that I associate some whiskeys with entrees while some others with dessert.

This is why I posted that Irish recipe for Tullamore Dew which I associate more with Irish coffee and desserts.

My most favourite whiskey is the 12 year old Cardhu. It has a pale colour; it is light, appetising with a hint of smoke on the nose; it has a light and smooth body; it has a light to medium flavour with an emphasis of malty sweetness; and a finish with a lingering, syrupy sweetness with a round dryness with hints of peat, although faint.

Cardhu has in the past been known as Cardow or Cardoor which mean 'black rock' in gaelic . These names refer to the same hamlet, in the heart of Speyside, on the stretch of the river known as Knockando, which is a favoured spot for salmon fishing. The Cardhu distillery traces its history to its establishment in 1824 by the local farmer John Cumming, and on the present site to 1884. There was illicit distilling on the site prior to 1824 and it is said that John Cumming relied on the aromas of Helen Cumming's home baking to conceal the presence of the still from the excisemen.

Reading the history of this great whiskey, I realized why I associate it more with game and lamb dishes than with desserts as my description of its sweetness would indicate. John Cumming relied on the smell of Hellen's lamb dishes to conceal his distillery. I have chosen it as my companion to game recipes. I use it in the recipe itself as well as its companion.

Thank you for this interesting path in our culinary explorations.

Joined Oct 20, 2001
Dear Kimmie:

Thank you for welcoming me!

Joined Mar 13, 2001
Welcome to a fine extended family Soshouhar.

Have you tried the more expensive Japanese Suntory Whiskey blend, smooth, almost Cognac fpor the uninitiated.

In my Cantonese stirfry, I like a shake of whiskey, brandy or rum,
especially into with "Ghuy Lahn" green stir fry's

Joined Oct 20, 2001
Dear Glutz:

Thank you for welcoming me.

Whisky has been made in Japan since 1923. There are close to 15 different Suntory whiskey labels. I purchased their top of the line label for US $265 in Tokyo a few years ago. It is trully an excellent whiskey but at such a high price, it better be. Your description of this fine beverage was excellent.

Thank you for bringing back the memories.

Latest posts

Top Bottom