Question Regarding New Cast Iron Skillet

Joined Apr 19, 2017
Hello,

I am new to cooking with cast iron and just recently ordered my fist Lodge cast iron skillet. Upon arrival I noticed that there appeared to be little specs/holes on the side of the skillet that almost appeared to be starting to rust. It almost looks like little grains of sand that had been blasted into the metal which created a bunch of tiny nicks/holes. 

I am not sure if this is an issue or something not to worry about? I have attached a picture to better show what I am trying to describe. 

Anybody who is experienced with cast iron pans - your input would be appreciated. 

Thanks!

Joined Apr 25, 2014
Put some oil on a paper towel and wipe it down (although I prefer lard).  Then use it.    Nothing to worry about.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
... or rub with oil/shortening/lard (very very very thin layer) and bake upside down at 350 for a few hours to build up the start of your pan's seasoning.

Joined Mar 15, 2013

Hello,

I am new to cooking with cast iron and just recently ordered my fist Lodge cast iron skillet. Upon arrival I noticed that there appeared to be little specs/holes on the side of the skillet that almost appeared to be starting to rust. It almost looks like little grains of sand that had been blasted into the metal which created a bunch of tiny nicks/holes. 

I am not sure if this is an issue or something not to worry about? I have attached a picture to better show what I am trying to describe. 

Anybody who is experienced with cast iron pans - your input would be appreciated. 

Thanks!
They actually make a mold out of sand to cast the iron in. Years ago or even on more expensive cast iron pans these days, they would clean up the pan after the casting and smooth it all over. Lodge is cheap now and does not make a smooth finish any more. My wife bought a Lodge a while ago, and I took a dremel to it and made  it all smooth. Its nicer to cook with.

Latest posts

Top Bottom