Question re cookie presses...

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by jezabel03, Dec 21, 2002.

1. jezabel03

jezabel03

Hi,

Was wondering if anyone can recommend a very good cookie press, or advice on what to look for when buying one. I picked up a cheapie that actually did a beautiful job, but by the end of the batch it had actually cracked, so now I want to buy one that will last. Thanks!

~Jeza

2. foodnfoto

foodnfoto

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I was working for the Redbook test kitchen last year and one project was to test about 12 different cookie presses. The one we liked the best, and the one I took home after all was said and done, was the french one made by "La Patisserie". It's metal and has a smaller cylinder, but makes very nicely defined cookie shapes and there are many different shaping plates to choose from. The first 2-3 cookies you press through after loading it with dough are a little incomplete, but the remainder are consistently beautiful.
    I bought it through NY Cake and Bakery Supply.

3. jezabel03

jezabel03

Thanks-- that's the advice I was looking for. I am getting one asap!

~Jeza

4. lotuscakestudio

lotuscakestudio

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    food,
    Just curious, did you test the SS one by Wilton? I just bought one, but haven't used it yet. I mainly bought it b/c Earlene Moore (cake decorator in TX) made this whole get up that goes with it where you can extrude a loooooooong continuous fondant rope for borders that will fit around even the largest cakes. Now I'm just wondering how it will hold up to actually press out cookies. Next Christmas I want to add spritz cookies to my tins and want something that is going to endure that abuse.

Also, I did a search on the press you mentioned and only found the plastic version. Can you provide a link for the metal one?

Thanks.

5. catciao

catciao

I purchased the SS wilton press after using the el cheapo plastic one and I agree that SS is the way to go. The edges are cleaner and overall I think it's just more durable. Sometimes if you time it right you can get one 40% off at Micheal's craft store or just look for their coupon. I have also seen the La Patisserie model and they're probably comparable. I don't make spritz cookies as much as I make various cheese crackers or seseme bites for hodos.:chef:

6. foodnfoto

foodnfoto

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Lotus-
    Yes, we did test the Wilton versions, both metal and plastic. It was at, or near the bottom of our list, as I remember. Too many pieces to clean, the portion control gear skipped or caught and the cookies didn't press out with clean details.
    After posting my original response, I found that La Patisserie had discontinued the aluminum version of thier cookie press. I also have a plastic one and like it almost as much-though the pressure foot is somewhat unpredictable. Still a good buy.

7. jezabel03

jezabel03

I ended up having to buy the Wilton SS because I couldn't get the La Patisserie, since it was so last-minute.

The SS press in combination with a great recipe from Epicurious produced some of the best cookies I have ever made. I bake a lot, and have been for a long time, and I couldn't believe all the compliments I got on these cookies! They really looked pretty and I guess I got a good recipe too. I am very happy with the SS, but I still have a major bone to pick with them about the plastic one.

If anybody has any good cheese cracker recipes for the cookie press, I'd love to get them. I made them from a recipe that turned out to be awful, but I bet with the right recipe they'd come out great. Thanks for your help everyone!

~Jez

8. lotuscakestudio

lotuscakestudio

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Thanks everyone for their responses! I'm off for a short vacation, but when I come back, I'll press out some cookies and see how they turn out. :)