question on a dressing

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by sidediva, Nov 16, 2014.

1. sidediva

sidediva

Exp:
    At home cook
    I wanted to make a dressing from the Silver Palate  Cookbook:

1 egg

1/3 cdijon mustard 

2/3 red wine vinegar

garlic 

2 C olive oil

However, this makes a lot. Considering the addition of the egg how long can I keep this in the frig.

Thanks

Rosanna

2. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    I wouldn't keep it more than 1 or 2 days. 

You could use 1/2 an egg and fry the other 1/2 for breakfast. 

3. cschley

cschley

Exp:
    Restaurant Manager
    To answer the question, you should get 2 weeks to a month, due to the acidity from the vinegar and mustard.

I suggest making a batch without the egg. The shelf life would be basically infinite. The mustard should emulsify the dressing enough, and the worst thing that would happen is that you'd have to shake the bottle before use.

Chris

4. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    You could probably get 2 weeks out of the dressing because of all the vinegar in it. I wouldn't push it past that though. Does the recipe specify the whole egg? Usually when I make dressings containing egg I just use the yolk.

If you are worried about it, you can drop it like CS said. The mustard should be enough to emulisfy the dressing although, during storage it might separate. A good shake or 2 would then bring it back, mostly.

5. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    There's a taste difference after a couple days that turns me off.......I can't save an emulsion for more then that.