Question For You History Buffs

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by shawtycat, Mar 17, 2002.

1. shawtycat

shawtycat

Since most religous texts state that the pig is unclean or somesuch. When exactly did it become a mainstream thing?? You know....Christmas Ham. When did everyone suddenly start eating pork? Wasnt it banned from most peoples diets?

2. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    People started eating pork 9,000 years ago.
    Archaeological evidence indicates domestication of the pig 9,000 ago in the Middle East and maybe earlier in China.

Although most livestock was used by nomadic people, pigs seems to be considered more suitable for settled farming communities, obviously because pigs cannot walk for long distancies.

Pig is considered uncleaned by Jews, Muslims and Bhuddists.

Christians don't exclude pork from their diet. As you know, meat is forbidden only during periods of fast.

I am not so much familiar with the Muslim law but I can tell you what the Torah says about pork

"Of the beasts of the earth" (which basically refers to land mammals with the exception of swarming rodents), you may eat any animal that has cloven hooves and chews its cud" (Lev. 11:3; Deut. 14)

Any land mammal that does not have both of these qualities is forbidden. The Torah specifies that the camel, the rock badger, the hare and the pig are not kosher because each lacks one of these two qualifications.

I hope that this has answered your question :)

3. shawtycat

shawtycat

I asked my grandmother this question years before and was told that some ancestor accidentally cooked a pig when it fell into the cooking fire during a hurricane. :rolleyes: Good ole grandma, anything to shut up the kid. Ive always been curious about the answer. Thanks