Question For Food Professionals...

Joined Jul 12, 2001
...from a non-professional:

This is coming from a thread on another site, would anyone know the name for the "dome" used to cover plates and retain temperature when serving entrees in very formal (European ?/French ?) restaurants ? Use was far more common in "better" restaurants years ago than today.

I believe the domed cover has a French name though I'm not sure. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Bob Sherwood

Joined Feb 6, 2002
Hello Bob,

Welcome to ChefTalk.

I am sure you are talking about this:

I thought it was just called a domed serving cover but I am someone here can help with the french term.

Jodi

Joined Jul 12, 2001
That is what I'm asking about, it's just that I have a vague recollection of a French name, possibly beginning with a "ch"; but then, maybe senility is setting in.

Anyway, thanks for the photo. Kind've glad they are no longer used much anymore.

Bob

Joined May 26, 2001
TBH, you win the prize! (whatever it is)

Once you said it, I checked in Larousse, and by george, you've got it.

Joined Feb 6, 2002
See! I told you they would know! What a wonderful bunch they are! Plus pictures help get the brain juices going. And I learned something today. Thank you BOB! :D :bounce:

Jodi

Joined Jul 12, 2001
THANKS ALL !!!

I've been lurking and learning from all for a while but you really came through today. Thanks again !

Bob

Joined Feb 21, 2001
I've always wanted to eat ris de veau a la financiere sous cloche. Someone please make it for me. Thank you in advance.

Joined Jul 31, 2000
TBH,
If you ever in Connecticut, email me.

I'll me glad to prepare riz de veau for you.

But don't get any silly ideas!!:D

Latest posts

Top Bottom