Question about yeast

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by suzanne, Jul 12, 2002.

1. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    In a fit of overenthusiastic hopefulness, I picked up some packets of Turkish dry yeast (regular and instant) at the Fancy Food Show. Bread and pastry recipes I've got -- but they pretty much all use a standard American packet of yeast, 7 grams. These Turkish ones contain 10 grams. Is there any standard formula to scale up the recipes, or should I just use partial packets of yeast? I hate to mess around on my own, because the chemistry of baking is not my strong suit.

Thanks for your help. :)

2. kimmie

kimmie

Of course, you could always use bakers' percentage formulae. If you are versed in math, go ahead.

My solution is not very scientific, but personally, I would pour all the little packets into a small container and weigh/measure what is called for in my recipes. :)

3. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Suzanne,

Depends on what you're wanting to make. For the most part, you'd want to be accurate in weight/volume. If you're going to try your hand at artisan breads, less can be more with an overnight starter and long rise time. This would take advantage of this particular yeast in that the flavors of the yeast would have a chance to develop.