Question about italian kitchen

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by simone metalli, Apr 13, 2011.

1. simone metalli

simone metalli

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hi to everybody...

I am Simone and I am writing from Italy, Bologna.

I have a question: talking with a lot of you I image that the italian kitchen that you know isn't the italian kitchen that we use here in Italy...

I agree with some friends that thinks that the emigrant have led in USA their traditional kitchen. The most of emigrant were from South Italy so the kitchen that you know as Italian kitchen is really the kitchen of only few region of South Italy.

Do you think that if you can eat in a real italian Restaurant or Trattoria do you like?

I am very concerned about this because i have a restaurant in Bologna and I would like to come to USA to open an original italian Restaurant and a Culinary School...

Thank to all

2. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    You will find that americans have embraced the cuisine of Italy in its entirety.  If you dine in NY you will find italian restaurants that each showcase the cuisine of a different region of Italy.  Americans are open to cuisine of all the countries in the world.

3. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Every Italian friend I have thinks his family makes the best Italian Dishes. I have been in Italy many times and to be honest favor Northern Italy I find the cuisine a little more complex then the rest of Italy. This is only my opinion and everyone has there own. When I traveled Italy I made it a point to eat in ,many Trattorias and family operated places to get the real feel of the reeonal cuisine.

4. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I love the cooking from Liguria and Tuscany.

5. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Simone, Americans (in the U.S.) are becoming more aware that the various regions have different cuisines. I live in the Midwest (near Milwaukee, about 125 km north of Chicago), and it's true where I live too. I lived for 18 years in a town south of here that boasted many Italian restaurants, but nearly all of them featured food from Calabria, from where most of its immigrants had come. The subtleties were few, mostly concerned with whose red sauce was better. You could eat pizza every day in Kenosha and never have the same one- but they were pretty much influenced by Calabria. Recently, dishes from other regions are becoming available. Specialty shops have more and more ingredients from the north (although items from Friuli and other eastern areas are less available).

I suppose you'll have to visit! New York is spectacular, but don't neglect the other 3,000 miles to the west. :D

6. simone metalli

simone metalli

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Thanks to all, your answers are very concerned...I like to know what you thinks about Italian kitchen...

7. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I believe it depends on what state and location you open. Some areas in the US are over saturated with Italian places. In New York there is one or a pizzeria on every other street. Some areas you will go will tell you your food is not Italian , because they only know garlic, tomatoes, oregano and red sauce. LOCATION< LOCATION>LOCATION

8. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    What do I think about the Italian kitchen?  I love it, I am mediterranean and the italian cuisine has the same philosophy of food that I do.  But I also think it's the most exploited cuisine in the US.  There are more italian restaurants in any given city than there are other world cuisines put together. 

On the whole I find most italian restaurants to be old fashioned and not very good.  Most seem to be concerned with their red sauce or "gravy" as they like to call it here, as if italian cooking is all about one sauce.  I tend to stay away from places that claim their food to be "just like grandma's" because personally I'm not interested in eating old fashioned food from the 50's.  When I go to italy I find very updated and modern food, and when you eat here its' nothing like that at all unless you go to more upscale restaurants.  Restaurants run by italians tend to be better than restaurants run by italian americans, some of which have never even been to italy.  So it's a tricky.  Basically there is a lot of italian restaurants, many of them are great, most of them are terrible.  But I'm lucky enough to live in a city where there is an abundance of good ones so I shouldn't be complaining.  I did however grow up in the south where everyone went to The Olive Garden.

Oh no.... did someone say oregano? 

9. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Funny when I was in Tuscanni and asked people about the Olive Garden Cooking School that they advertise on TV.. Nobody new anything about it or heard of i t???????  Sure sounds good though.  Only thing I will say about OG is yes it is consistant, thats all I will say.

10. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I cannot, obviously talk for the American-Italian kitchen.  But, here in the UK, our Italian restaurants show off the cuisines of all regions of Italy.  Maybe because many of our restaurants were started by Italian PoWs, who stayed after the end of WWII - married local girls and became part of Scotland.  The prisoners were from ALL regions of Italy - the cooking, ditto!

11. linny29

linny29

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I laugh every time I see I that commerical, "nearly 100" are sent there every year ..... ummmm, so with amount of locations they have and factoring in turnover about 1/3 of your stores have 1 person who studied in Italy? You have better odds at my family reunion ;)

12. simone metalli

simone metalli

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Nobody know the Olive Garden Cooking School in Italy...

13. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Next time someone goes to Olive Garden ask the manager for the address and phone # of the school.   Thanks

14. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    [quote name="chefedb" url="/forum/thread/65186/question-about-italian-kitchen#post_347691"]
    Next time someone goes to Olive Garden
    [/quote]

Why would I do a silly thing like that?

Oh, yeah, my wife's family may be coming to visit :(

mjb.

15. wildboar

wildboar

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    There are a lot of Italian restaurants in the DC area, but I can't say there isn't room for one more -- especially if it's a little more 'authentic' then most of the places.  For the most part, there are only a handful of really good Italian restaurants around here, and they are $$$.  There are quite a few inexpensive ones, but the food is all over the place.  I would love to see a nice trattoria that can put out consistant northern Italian food at reasonable prices.  Would love to see some that do real southern Italian as well (and Tuscano/ Umbria).

The only couple of Italian resturants I have been to in this area that truely reminded me of a meal in Italy are so expensive we only go once every year or two.  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/frown.gif

16. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    We have lots and lots of genuine Italian restaurants in the UK.

We have a wonderful deli with its own restaurants in Edinburgh - I went to school with a daughter of one of the founding familes     http://www.valvonacrolla.co.uk/

17. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    nice wedding cake

18. simone metalli

simone metalli

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I have seen the site...I don't know...a real italian can't write Spinachi...it is Spinaci...or figi? I dont' know what is figi...Probably fichi...and noone eat Frittata con fava...I think it isn't a real italian restaurant...

I think that is possible to open a nice trattoria with low prices...my restaurant here in Bologna is not expensive...but is very important to save about the raw materials and the workforce...I mean in my family we are in 7...so we don't need to recruit employees to pay...

19. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I question what you mean by "real" italian.  I think there are ways to incorporate new flavors in the mediterranean cuisine.  Just because your grandmother didn't make frittata con fava doesn't mean that it does not exist or that it does not have the ability to exist. 

20. simone metalli

simone metalli

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Of course it exist I say only that is not a typical plate, I love frittata with onion for example. I think only that an italian restaurant can made something more typical than a frittata with fava...