Question about Hollandaise sauce

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by highlander01, Sep 4, 2017.

1. highlander01

highlander01

Exp:
    Other
    I have seen recipes that call for either white wine vinegar, white vinegar or tarragon vinegar ..... how much of a difference would one vinegar make over the other?
    I'm really curious as to how the tarragon vinegar would make the sauce taste.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

2. meezenplaz

meezenplaz

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Sounds more like you're making Bearnaise sauce than Hollandaise.
    You can substitute a different acid for the tarragon and it will emulsify, and make sauce. But it won't be Bernaise. Just as substituting a different wine , it will no longer be Chicken Marsala. These ingredients have their own distinct flavors.

3. Ramjan Hossain

Ramjan Hossain

Exp:
    Professional chef
    why do not you give it a try and have a look how things go. i like the white wine vinegar taste the most

4. sicariix

sicariix

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    If I'm making a hollandaise then white wine vinegar and lemon I'll use for my acid.

If I'm making a bernaise then I make my own tarragon white wine reduction and use lemon for my acid. tarragon is a must for that classic bernaise flavor.

hollandaise is a mothersauce (like a jumping off point) that you can infuse flavors to compliment your dish. Adding sugar and vanilla will sweeten hollandaise to the point where its like a custard and makes an excellent topping on a trifle. Get creative!

5. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I would stay away from white vinegar (I assume they are referring to distilled white vinegar). It brings a harshness to many foods that is unpleasant. Other than that you can try a number of different acids in your hollandaise.