Question about Hazan's "Tomato Sauce with Olive Oil and Chopped Vegetables" recipe

Joined Dec 8, 2015
Hi!

I just made this recipe from Marcella Hazan's "Essentials of Italian Cooking" (pg. 153) and it was amazing. However, I realized something odd: when the sauce was done, there were still largely chopped bits of celery and carrot in the sauce. I didn't really know if those should stay IN the sauce (although they were tender, it would be odd to have them in there, wouldn't it?) or if I should strain them out. I tried straining them out and it didn't turn out so well
sad.png
What I ended up with was a decent amount of sauce and a bunch of saucy pieces of veggies left over (see pic), no doubt with wasted sauce still clinging to the veggies.

J2Djc7Z.jpg

Do people eat this kind of sauce with finely diced/minced veggies still in it? Or do they just put a few large pieces of carrots and celery in the sauce and then remove after cooking? And if they do the latter, how would I know how much a piece of carrot or celery equals "2/3 cup chopped" of each? Should I just chop the celery/carrots into the same size as I did this time, put them in the 2/3 measuring cup, weigh the 2/3 cup, and then use a piece of carrot and celery that weighs the same as the chopped 2/3 cup and then dump the large pieces in the sauce and then remove them at the end? See recipe ingredients below.

Thanks!

-2 pounds fresh tomatoes

-2/3 cup chopped carrot

-2/3 cup chopped celery

-2/3 cup chopped onion

-salt

-1/3 cup EVOO

Joined Dec 18, 2010
That's a good sauce. I leave the veg in it. But I also chop the veg in a food processor very fine.

Joined Dec 8, 2015
I like your approach of finely mincing in food processor. Since I make this with fresh tomatoes using a food mill, the tomato base is soupy and mostly smooth, and I don't want chunks of veggie to make the texture weird. Processing them fine would still give the "essence"/flavor of the veggies without changing the texture that much. Thanks!

Joined Apr 25, 2011
I use food processor or stick blender for convenience now, but back in the day, we would press it through a colander with a pot. Took forever but kept a great texture

Joined Jan 4, 2011
Why do you even care? Taste is the key. If it tastes good ... go with it. Unless you tell them it's from a recipe ... NOBODY is gonna know. Be You.

Last edited:
Top Bottom