Question about frosting

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by izzydizzy, Jun 12, 2010.

1. izzydizzy

izzydizzy

Exp:
    Other
    For my sisters 21st b-day i made her a cake. I used fondant, which came out good, but i also wanted to use frosting to decorate it with. The problem was, it was too runny to use to make designs with. The recipe I used called for, butter, milk, vanilla extract and powdered sugar. So i thought that I might have used too much milk. SO i made it a second time using less milk, and it still came out runny. Am i missing something? Or should i try using even less milk? Add cornstarch too it? I don't know. HELP!

2. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    You might have found a dud recipe.  Sometimes there are typos that are not corrected, and you get too much or too little of something. 

The butter in frosting should not be melted - that's one thing.  There should be very little milk in it.  I suggest doing it more by eye, esp if you;re only decorating with it.  Put butter in the mixer and cream it.  Add sugar slowly and then add the milk even more slowly.  When the consistency is right, stop, no matter what the recipe says.  For decorating i don;t even bother with a recipe. 

3. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Why are you using any milk at all?

4. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    My understanding is that you can get more sugar into it if you add a little milk, and it will be more easy to squeeze through the pastry decorator, and the greater proportion of sugar to butter (since this is to decorate and not to add flavor) keeps it from melting as easily if it's hot out. You want the decorations to be soft enough to squeeze but not to melt.  Or am i just b***s***ting

5. izzydizzy

izzydizzy

Exp:
    Other
    The reason i am using milk is because that's what the recipe said. I don't know a lot about baking, so i am teaching myself the best that i can. :D

6. izzydizzy

izzydizzy

Exp:
    Other
    Siduri

Thanks. I will try that next time. I found the recipe on the back of a cake flour box. I have gotten better at eyeing things. :D

7. cabotvt

cabotvt

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    If you are looking to incorparate more sugar you may use HR shortning or if sweetness is what you desire use an invert and forget the milk  <.:=)

8. izzydizzy

izzydizzy

Exp:
    Other
    I am rather new to this whole backing thing, so forgive me for asking probably a stupid question, what is HR shortning? And what would be an invert for milk?

9. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    Why would you use ANYTHING rather than butter in a frosting????

I don;t know what HR shortening is, but shortening is some sort of industrial grease. 

Butter is ... butter. 

10. izzydizzy

izzydizzy

Exp:
    Other
    AH ok! Thanks for clarifying  :D

11. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    Don't mention it, I'm always happy to clarify butter!

12. exhotickitchen

exhotickitchen

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I guess I'm just reiterating, but I've definitely learned from experience that too much liquid will make the icing really thin. Focus on using mostly butter and vanilla for the liquid (and I do tend to use a couple tbsp of milk).

I just made icing a couple days ago and it turned out amazingly (Thick creamy buttery goodness)!

Here's what I did:

4 cups of icing sugar

2/3 cup of melted butter

2 tbsp of vanilla

mix together and then add 1-2 tbsp of milk to make the right consistency

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2010
  13. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    Melted butter???

14. cabotvt

cabotvt

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    THere are many kinds of frosting. I use High Ration all the time, you can put like 2x the sugar into a cake using it. Its made under a brand called SweetTex by Proctor and Gamble. Its vegtable shortening not animal.

15. izzydizzy

izzydizzy

Exp:
    Other
    OK cool! I plan to make a cake this month just to try it out! I will give that frosting a try. :)