question about frosting and decorating with cream cheese

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by galit, Jul 11, 2010.

1. galit

galit

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Hi! I'm going to make a birthday cake-

It's carrot cake filled with cream cheese frosting (butter, cream cheese, p.sugar, vanilla).

My question:

This cake is going to be designed as a beach scene. The frosting will be used to create the ocean.

Is it ok to use this frosting for that or should I use a classic buttercream meruinge for the top and decorations?

I read in some places that cream cheese frosting can melt- but I want a flavorful top....(and not work twice to create 2 frostings)

I also don't want the cake to melt on the spot.

Any thoughts?

2. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    I had good luck with white chocolate in the cream cheese - melting white chocolate (be careful it burns easily) - and beating it into the beaten cream cheese.  This doesn';t add any flavor really, since white chocolate doesn;t taste of much, and it functions as a hardener.  It melts at a higher temperature.  Try to experiment with it a little.  see how it holds up in decoration in the heat. 

3. galit

galit

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Thanks a lot Sidauri! will it be good also for decorating? I mean to create a beach scene for ex?

4. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    I'm not sure what you mean by a beach scene, Galit.  If you mean piling up a 3 dimensional thing with waves i think you may need to use a more traditional decorating frosting.  If you mean piping  a drawing onto the surface, that works fine.  You might try with different proportions of chocolate, though, I never did any thick decorating. 

5. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Mix 1/2 cream cheese and 1/2 butter cream on outside make a bit stiffer for summer use. . Use ground frosted flakes for sand,.crystal ginger for rocks stacked if you want. have fun

6. cookpiper

cookpiper

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Is there really workign Ed? We are plannng to make a 3 layer cake a we are going to use cream cheese frosting also. Thanks!