question about fat content of orange roughy

Joined Apr 10, 2002
I am confused. I read that orange roughy has 80 cals for 4 oz. Very nice and low. Has 1 g of fat in this aserving. BUT if you put a filet of (thawed) orange roughy in the skillet, it browns all by itself and drains oil on a paper towel - like salmon!!!! Salmon we know is exteremely oily. SO I am confused because the facts dont agree. I read that the oil is partially digestible - called wax ester. So can I assume that its really only giving me 80 cals per 4 oz or is it not true? THe waxy oil is supposed to be in the skin layer. My frozen fillets are from Sealord I think. They dont seem to have any skin on them.....

Joined Apr 10, 2002
Oil is fat. So I am still puzzled. Is this oil not absorbed and digested by us? If it is, then cals are more like salmon (v high) instead of the quoted low values. Please respond.

Joined Feb 6, 2002
The Oil is Omega 3 which is good for you. Please click the other link I just edited in my past post. It has better info.

Here is more about the OIL in the fish and what it does.

Omega 3

Jodi

Joined Apr 10, 2002
Thanks for your responses. But heres the puzzler: From your link i got that 3 ounces fat content is:

Total Fat: 0.76g

Odd thing is when you put it in the hot skillet it releases a lot of oil (much more than the label says!!!!)

Joined Feb 6, 2002
From what I am reading about this fish it seems to have from a medium to high oil content. Maybe since it is liquid it seemslike there is more oil in the pan? Liquids spread. I also don't think that every single one of these fishes will have the same oil content. Does not seem possible. I think the measurements were based on an average.

Just my thoughts about this.

Jodi

PS

You do know that Omega 3 is good for you and helps lower your "bad" cholesterol. :confused: It contains HDL cholesterol which help take LDL cholesterol out of your system, therefore lowering the level of "bad" cholesterol. Maybe you should try draining off some of the oil? Did you try the link containing info on Omega 3?

Top Bottom