question about coating steak in salt and rinsing off before cooking.

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by quebert, Oct 20, 2015.

1. quebert

quebert

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I've done it a few times with great results in the past, but it was on lower to mid grade cuts of meat. I picked up a pretty decent NY Strip Select last night from Ralph's. It's about 1 1/2 inches thick, I'm wondering if the salt trick will do the same thing here? I don't want to ruin a $12 steak. I'm not sure if there's a cut off point quality wise where this technique doesn't work.  For those curious I'm talking about coating a steak completly in Kosher salt and letting it sit for about an hour for each inch of thickness then rising off very well, patting dry and searing then tossing in a 500 degree over for a few minutes a side.

2. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Why?

3. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Think to take out some moisture, exchange some salty moisture with the bloody stuff?  Concentrate flavor?

Actually I don't know, just speculating.

4. quebert

quebert

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Well it makes lower steaks that are generally tough a whole lot more tender. While I can't explain the food science behind why, I know it makes a world of difference in how tender and flavorful the steak is. What I'm unsure of is if this translates to improving a good cut of meat that's already capable of being tender.  And i'm guessing if it works, it needs to be adjusted time wise. 

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  5. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I prefer to coat both sides with fine-ground salt (I personally like the Himalayan pink for its mineral flavor) using about twice as much as I would for a cooked steak, pepper the same, and rack it in the fridge for 24.  I'll further dry it under a fan for an hour or 2.

I'll sear at very high heat in a non-stick ceramic pan to fit (cuts down of smoke and spatter) on a glasstop for the concentrated and even heat. This produces a hard crust with the fond completely and perfectly baked onto it.  I'll let it coast in the pan for thicker cuts, the oven is possibly better for this, though I don't feel it's worth the extra fuss.

I've tried just about every way to make steak [off the grill] and this I feel is the best as the S+P is fully integrated into the meat and the crust takes on a wonderful malliard (spelling?) reaction.

Rick

6. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Just do it, I'm sure it will be fine!

7. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Cut the steak into two steaks. Try your method on one steak, not the other. Cook both steaks the same way and do a taste test!