Question about Cherry Scones

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by kokopuffs, Feb 24, 2011.

1. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I plan to make a batch of cherry scones using Sticky Fngers Original Recipe Scone Mix that's mixed with approximately 1/2 C of dried cherries .  My two questions are as follows:
    1. Since I'd like to soak the dried cherries in a mixture of sugar and either a liquor or distillate the night before, which alcoholic beverage would you recommend?
    2. I'd like to mix into the whole batch 1 tsp of either Lemon Oil or Cherry Flavor from Fantes.  Which would you recommend?
    TIA,

-T

2. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    1. Either kitchwasser(sp) or cherry brandy would be my choice, to maintain the flavor profile.

2. Again, I'd go with the cherry flavor, for the same reason.

3. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    That's what I just purchsed, a bottle of cherry flavored brandy.  And once baking has finished, would there be any difference in flavor 'tween the kirschwasser and el cheapo brandy?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  4. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    At a guess, I'd say "no." Let's face it, there isn't that much being absorbed by the dried cherries, to begin with. And most of the alcohol will cook off.

What I'm thinking is that either of them will merely accentuate the cherryness (is that a word?), rather than adding much distinct flavor of their own. That being the case, why spend extra money?

5. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    WHAT! You're putting the cherry brandy IN the scones???

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/laser.gifNo, NO! It goes in the BAKER!

6. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Alright now, Pete, I'm originally from just over the hill from you: RIDGECREST!!!  Beware.  Be veeeerrrrry ware!!!!  8^P

7. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Oops /img/vbsmilies/smilies/blushing.gif

8. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    The scones came out wonderful but imho cherries don't mix with scones.  What I mean to state is that some fruit that's tangier in flavor would be more appropriate.  To me the smoothness of the cherry flavor doesn't get it.

Fwiw as far as the package mix goes, like I did yesterday I'd substitute some half-and-half for water give the mixture just a bit more fat.  The scones tasted wonderful and light but I think that lemon/orange would be the preferred flavors.

9. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Out of curiosity, Kokopuffs - why use a packet mix when scones are so easy to make and you can control the liquid ingredients better?

10. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Ishbel, the scone mix was a gift to me and as to liquid control, I feel that it can be controlled just the same whether it be mix or homemade.  It's control of the fat content that's more easily controlled when totally homemade.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  11. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    As a native of the country that supposedly invented scones (BTW - it's 'scone' as in gone as opposed to scone as in 'stone' - and named after Scone Palace, the crowning place of Scotland's kings - but just to be contrary is pronounced SKOON!) I think buying packets of scone mix is weird!

12. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Don't you mess with us Americans as we try harder!!!!!!!!!!!  But really, if friends would stop giving me mixes, then I'd start from scratch and then give you all some feedback which I certainly will in the near future.  And also I'll let all of you know how my very own homemade cured and home smoked bacon tastes.  Stand in line.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  13. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Mess with you Americans?  Would I dare?  Well, yes I WOULD, where scones and other British dishes are concerned...

As for bacon...  have you even TRIED Ayrshire bacons?  They are, without doubt, the best in the world - home-made wouldn't come close, believe me!

Crappy packet mixes?  PSHAWWWWWW... Start from scratch, it's the only way!/img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

14. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    The best bacon I ever heard is from Berkshire pigs and I ain't ever heard about Ayreshires and mean no disrespect.  Koko's owns home smoked stuff with applewood or white oak smokewood.  A great sharp flavor.

15. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Do a google, Koko...   the stuff from Ayrshire is amazing, and I haven't a clue which breed of pig is used!  The 'square sausage' is truly amazing....  Failing that, the best I've EVER tasted is from Wiltshire.  And, believe me, I am am a real bacon afficionado!

16. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Hmmmmmmmm.  Down here in the south GA swamps we run dowgs and hawgs.  This is real pig country but I'll google nonetheless.

17. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Let me know what you find....

The only place I've ever been near your area is Atlanta.  I have a relly there - and have visited only once.

18. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Kokopuffs.

You're right about tangier. We've tried all kinds. Our best seller is fresh raspberry/white choco.

We don't flavor the dough since we use heavy cream and butter. We use a high protien flour to harden the crumb and just barely mix.

BTW Here in the South we call scones the fancy triangle biscuits.

pan

19. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook

20. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    @Panini:

Would you care to share your scone recipe here, please.