question about braised chicken thighs technique

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by navot6, Jan 2, 2012.

1. navot6

navot6

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Hello everyone.

A few days ago I braised chicken in beer. Really good dish, with fennel and coriander seeds.

Of course I browned the chicken first, until the skin was sort of light brown and very crispy. I then did all the other stuff (sweating the veg, reducing down the beer), put it it, added water (no stock unfortunately) and let it simmer for a good hour-hour and a half, until I got tender juicy chicken. That was ok, the problem was the skin. It wasn't crispy anymore. It had a bit of the caramelised flavour, but no texture. It was soggy and not very appealing.

I will say, that having no paper towels or clean kitchen towels (friend's kitchen...) I didn't pat the chicken dry before browning it, but straight from the package, seasoned it and into the pan. It took forever to brown, ofcourse, but eventually it did.

The chicken was fresh and I was using olive oil for fat.

Is this the reason for the soggy skin?

when I braise meat like that, and even for a lot longer, it still retains a bit of texture where it was caramelised.

your thoughts\suggestions much appreciated.

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    The skin goes soggy because you're braising it, a wet cooking method.  That's the consequence of braising skin.  You can brown with the skin on for flavor and then remove it before braising.

3. navot6

navot6

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Maybe I should have mentioned that this was the first time I braised chicken.

And thinking about it now, I can't remember when was the last time I had it.

It makes sense of course, that skin cooked in water basically will be soggy, but I thought I would still have some texture like with beef.

Thanks for the reply.