Question about baking soda ratios

Joined Feb 11, 2017
I have a standard waffle recipe I've long used.

The version I'd based it on had a rather large amount of baking powder and -soda (2 and 1 teaspoon, respectively), and I dropped each down by about half without seeming to adversely effect the leavening.

The recipe uses 1.5 cups of flour (a mix of WW and oat) plus 2 tablespoons flax seed, and for liquid and acid it uses 1.5 cups of buttermilk (with 2 eggs for added liquid).

From some threads I've seen here, the issue seemed to be matching the amount of baking soda to the amount of flour. But wouldn't it matter more to match it to the acidic content of the recipe--the baking soda would only be effective with a matching amount of acid to react to.

Assuming this is the case, how much baking soda would effectively react with 1.5 cups of the buttermilk?

norcalbaker59

Banned
Joined Feb 16, 2017
You are correct that the ratio of baking soda to acid is important. I cannot speak about waffles, but in baking, the general rule is 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda to 1 cup of buttermilk. In baking, the concern is usually too much baking soda to acid, rather than not enough baking soda. If there's too much baking soda, the residual will produce a bitter taste.

Top Bottom