question about 3rd edition of Food Lover's Companion

Joined May 2, 2003
I was wondering if anyone can comment on the difference between the 2nd and the 3rd (newest) edition of Sharon Tyler Herbst's The New Food Lover's Companion ? Ok, so it's meant to include an additional 2000 terms, and a few extra appendices, but is this just unnecessary bloat, or are the new items new/valuable/etc?

--lamington

Joined Dec 12, 2000
I own the second edition, and have glanced through the first edition and didn't find much difference. Didn't know there was a third edition though. Mind you, I don't use my copy very much anyway, ecept maybe for the odd reference.

Joined May 26, 2001
Well, I'm seriously considering getting the third edition, but I need to see it first. The second came out in 1995, and you have to agree that that's more than a lifetime in terms of trends in popular cuisines. Now that I'm editing, I use mine (#2) all the time, and if #3 is more inclusive, I've got to get it! But as a general reference for people who cook, I think #2 is still very, very good.

BTW, have you ever looked at The Chef's Companion by Elizabeth Riely? A similar reference work. Again, I've got the 2nd edition (1996), but there may be a 3rd.

Joined Dec 30, 1999
lamington,

There are currently 34 reviews of this (including reviews of the 3rd Edition) book you may be interested in reading here.

Joined May 2, 2003
Thanks for your replies! I had read the reviews on Amazon, mudbug, but there are only 3-4 that even allude to the differences between the 3rd edition and previous ones, hence the question here -- I trust Cheftalkers a good deal more than many of the customers at Amazon.

Thanks for the suggestion of The Chef's Companion, Suzanne, I'll look around for a copy to peek in properly. I have a fair few non-US food reference works, so was looking to add a book from the US market, simply for the different perspective. I have the 2nd ed of the Food Lover's Companion, but was curious about the 3rd... and now you've added another one to the list:cool:

cheers--lamington

Top Bottom