Quantity Frittata

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by marmalady, Oct 11, 2002.

1. marmalady

marmalady

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Making frittata in quantity for 24-30 pp; have the proportions, etc. Just wondering if I can 'bake' the whole thing in the oven, in the chafer insert pan it will be served in. Any suggestions welcome!

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I've seen variations cooked in the oven the whole time. Seems it was in Cooking Without a Book. My only concern is that in the scaling and therefore larger pan, that it won't cook evenly without some precooking.

As the center is the issue, you could start that part over the burner on the stove and then into the oven? That's the approach my instincts want to take but they've made mistakes before.

What about the release? Is this a nonstick pan? Or does it need some parchment paper so it comes out without falling apart?

Phil

3. eds77k5

eds77k5

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    by chaffer insert do you mean a hotel pan? you can cook it in a 2" hotel pan no problem, baked in the oven, yes.

4. marmalady

marmalady

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Yes, I did mean the hotel pan. Thanks for the tips, guys!

5. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    it's been many yrs. since on the hot side, but I think I recall finishing these under the salamander or broiler. This is the way I do them at home too. Am I thinking of something else?