Chef Forum banner

Q re: rates on specialized meal plans

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  RosemaryBarkely 
#1 ·
I have a potential client with a sick child. She wanted 3 meals + snack 3 days a week. She will pay for food but wants a break down per week.

How much should I charge for a specialized meal plan for a sick child in San Francisco?

Thank you!

#4 ·
You want to put out a product and not only cover the cost of the ingredients and the time you put into creating your work, but make a profit as well. To begin with, place a numerical value on your Labor. How much do you charge per hour to work? Self-valuation can mess with an ethical Mind at this juncture, so take your time in making this consideration.

Go to wherever it is you get your ingredients from and check the price per ounce for each item. Most stores and markets have a price-per-ounce on the shelf label; if not, then take the price of the item and divide it by the number of ounces that the item weighs. This will give you the price-per-ounce.

Look at your recipe and determine how much you're going to need in order to make your product, per ingredient. Add up the amounts you will spend and you will have what we call the Cost of Goods Sold.

Take the Cost of Goods Sold and add your Labor. This is Total Cost. Next is profit.

The standard book-taught model of business in general is to add 30-35% of Total Cost to arrive at your price. Doing this will cover the cost of ingredients and labor and provide you with a profit. I can provide you with an example spreadsheet of a menu item to demonstrate the above if you'd like.

What I've written above is very basic and there can arise variables that complicate the process, and there are different models of menu pricing, but this basic idea should get you rolling.

Any questions, let me know.

#5 ·
If she's paying for the food talk with her about what it's worth for you to prepare the food for her. She has to pay for the food whether you make it or not. when your costing a menu for a child it isn't a whole lot per meal. You didn't mention how old the child is ??? if the child is real young, the cost of food could be between $.75 to $1.50 per meal. Like I said, tell her you will make the menus, shop and make the 9 meals for a set amount. The snacks are a no brainer......ChefBillyB

#6 ·
She is paying for the food (shout out to instacart for making everyones life easier).

I am creating a meal plan for the child (who is 1 & has a chronic illness) preparing 3 meals 3 days a week.
Everything must be made fresh (including sauces, crackers etc) and made by hand.

I've never cooked for a child- creating a proposal is really challenging.

Thank you for all your help <3

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.