Putting Fruits in Brandy

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by rence, Jul 18, 2004.

1. rence

rence

This all started with an idea of soaking cherries and/or peaches in brandy, letting the concoction sit till christmas and enjoying it then. I have done numerous searches on the net for recipes and have come up with many different recipes. The ones that appeal to me most are the ones that don't require cooking, use fresh fruit and don't require canning. That being said, I want to know that it is going to be safe to consume. So, if anyone would like to share recipes with me and explain the pros and cons of different methods to me, I would be appreciative

Thanks

Rence

2. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    As long as you keep all the fruit submerged in alcohol, it should stay safe. But you have to weight everything down (with a plate, for example) for that.

I've never done it myself, but I remember reading about a concoction called Rumtopf, for which you keep layering fresh fruits with sugar as they come into season, covering them with more rum each time, then leave the whole thing for a few months (the timing is the same as you mention). It's a German and Austrian specialty.