Pureed roasted garlic

Joined Jan 5, 2004
How long can pureed roasted garlic last in the freg? I have tons of it. Can it
frozen? Thanks for helping me out. :)

shortamazon

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
A week, give or take. Plenty of variables.

Freeze it. Not just in the freezer section of a refrigerator, but a true deep freeze. Should hold 6 months there.

Phil

Joined May 26, 2001
I beg to differ. I made my current batch (about a pint) on 2/29/04, and it's still fine in the fridge. Almost used up, but fine. FWIW, I keep my fridge in the high 30s (F).

As with all condiments, keeping contaminants out is important for longer shelflife. Always use a clean spoon, don't let anything fall into it -- all the usual caveats.

If you do freeze it (nothing wrong with doing that), try putting it into small quantities -- the ice-cube tray trick, or a tablespoon or two in a snack bag.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
I'm basing my opinion on Helen Witty's writings, largely because of the food poisoning risk. I don't know the exact percentages and they may be very low but I feel it's better to play it safe.

Suzanne's recommendation to freeze in small chunks is a good one.

Phil

Joined May 26, 2001
If you're thinking of botulism -- Clostridium botulinum is anaerobic, but the garlic is both cooked AND exposed to air in storage, so it's less likely.

I don't mean to minimize the very real possibility of food-borne illness; it's just that my experience with roast garlic puree (both at home and at work where we would make 10 to 15 pounds at a time and hold it for several weeks) is one of safe, relatively longterm storage.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Certainly botulism is of vanishingly low risk unless oil is added to the storage, a frequent choice. Cooking only kills active botulinin and safely denatures the toxin if of the proper temperature and duration; the spores are still present and viable.

To me, it's more a matter of what is a generally good safe practice.

Phil

Joined Jan 5, 2004
Love all the info. :) Right now I have bout..14-18 gallons of this stuff. I am
going to cube freez them etc and some will go in freg.

thanks for the great info! :)

shortamazon

Joined Jan 5, 2001
The last case of botulism around here was from a cooked potato. Heat kills bacteria, but does not necessarily deactivate toxins. I think it's an important distinction.

Latest posts

Top Bottom