Pumpkin Recipes Desperately Needed

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by kyheirloomer, Sep 25, 2010.

1. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    So, based on comments made by the head pastry chef at Blackberry Inn, I put in a small patch of Flat Tan Field Pumpkins this year. Despite using immature ones as summer squash, they're still going to drive us out. Near as I can tell, there are about 30 maturing ones (coming in at 15-20 lbs each).

I have a fair number of pumpkin recipes. But, obviously, I'm going to be using a lot of pumpkin this year. So I would appreciate any recipes and uses---sweet or savory---y'all can suggest.

Thanks.

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Soup of course, served in  a pumpkin shell. Maybe even make that and give it to a few neighbors or throw a fall party based on that?

I'm a fan of pumpkin chocolate chip cookies but that won't use up much pumpkin.

Save the seeds for roasting and making pipian sauce. Speaking of pipian, there should be Mexican recipes to use up some of that in interesting ways besides just the seeds.

You can used cooked pumpkin much as you'd use tomatoes for sauces in italian cuisine. Sounds odd but works pretty well, particularly with crumbled sausage.

Can some of course for later use.

I had some interesting pumpkin at an Afghan restaurant. Couldn't quite decide how they cooked it but it was sort of translucent and had a gelled quality to it. Maybe steamed and then chilled, then slowly roasted to remove the water?  I can imagine some interesting curries based in pumpkin

I suppose you could make some interesting pumpkin "fruit leather" too. Make some sweet, spice some up with cajun flavors.

Donate some to an underprivileged school for October projects, or to a food bank/kitchen if they'll take some. Our local zoo collects pumpkins after Halloween to feed to some of the animals.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  3. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Thanks for the suggestions, Phil.

I've got several pumpkin soup recipes. But I'm always open to different variations on that theme. So if you've got one you particularly like......

It occurs to me that I've never had Afghan food, as such. That pumpkin dish sure sounds interesting, so. I'll have to do a search. And, no doubt, review all the African stuff as well, because they use a lot of pumpkin in subSaharan Africa. Pumpkin fritters are ubiquitous, for instance.

Canning, for sure. And sharing with others without doubt. I mean, I thought I had a heavy load after the year of the butternuts. But 30 of these monsters is way out of line.

4. dc sunshine

dc sunshine

Exp:
    Other
    Could use some as roast veg to accompany roast onions and potatoes.

Great suggestions Phil.

My favourite soup recipe includes sauted onions, garlic and ginger (raw root, not the dried ground stuff), then once fragrant addin cubed pumpkin and a couple of peeled and sliced carrots and potatoes.  Cook until a little soft and browned, then add enough chicken stock to cover, simmer 30 mins or so, then whizz up with a stick blender.  We did this today, made heaps of it, none left. Hooray!

I like to sieve mine, but it's not necessary. Serve with soured cream and lots of garlic and oil tossed oven crisped croutons.  Can also top it with some spring onion tops roughly chopped.

Could also add sweet potatoes to the above veg mix if you like them.  It freezes really well.  What also helps just before serving is adding some soured cream, stirring it through.  Don't boil, but you knew that /img/vbsmilies/smilies//smile.gif    Or greek yoghurt - that works well.  Needs loads of S&P.

At times I'll also add a can of tomato soup, gives it a bit more depth.   From which point you can turn it into a base for a minestrone soup....

Sautee them as you would potatoes for another option.  They don't get quite as crisp but they go really well with a roast chicken or lamb.

Put left over cubed ones into one of those lovely big tortillas, adding peas and egg mix as per usual, served warm or even cold with a crisp green salad.

Ok...someone else's turn /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

5. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    Pumpkin gnocchi - steam or roast the pumpkin, then cool a little, add about an equal part by volume of flour or a little less, and an egg - mix, and drop into boiling water by spoonfuls.  I find they work well using one of those things that look like a large side of a box grater and a sort of spatula or trowel to push them through - they use them in hungarian cuisine to make galuska, or in other cuisines - german, maybe, or austrian.  Season with butter and parmigiano, or whatever you like (someone recently posted something about them in a thread on fall cooking, and uses brown butter and sage).

you could do pumpkin turnovers or large savory pumpkin pies - I fry up onions (plenty) in butter, add to mashed pumpkin (best are the kind that don;t make much water, otehrwise let the pumpkin flesh drain very well for an hour or two before using) , add pine nuts and raisins, salt and pepper.  A couple of handfuls of parmigiano can't hurt, and it really is very open to other seasonings (curry type seasoning perhaps).  Make individual turnovers or long thin ones which you later cut into strips for finger food, using an olive oil crust.  No time now but look for it on this website, i;ve posted it before.   I put some pictures below.  You can also make one large pie.  I make the turnovers for my christmas party, about ten of them, and dozens of other dishes, for about fifty people.  and i make the single pie for xmas dinner, where there are vegetarians.  I also make these partially in advance.  I make the filling, put it in parchment paper, making a sort of crib for them (like what they use to raise baguettes, out of foil, then roll them up and freeze.  Then i make the dough and fill and then bake.  Or you can freeze them unbaked with the dough. But my freezer is small so i make the smallest thing possible.    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. titomike

titomike

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    A favourite of mine that's proved popular gets called Asian or Satay Pumpkin Soup. In its simplest form its a balance of coconut cream, peanut butter, curry powder & banana. The trick is the balancing (skewed to personal preference) and the danger is the banana...I screwed up enough times that I now add it incrementally in small pieces. It's evolved now to using my peanut-based spice paste 'cos I have it on hand but the original is quick, easy and different.

I also love roast (baked) pumpkin hummus, so much so we put it out a stiffer  version as a starch under a dukkar crusted chicken breast with grilled courgettes and lemon thyme aioli...

7. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Linda loves this.
    • Steam or roast pumpkin wedges until done.  Cut it off the skin, and into chunks small enough to process in your chosen way;
    • Mash, mill, rice, sieve or puree;
    • Season with Maggi, salt, and a little pulverized white pepper.  Taste and adjust;
    • Finely mince a little ginger.  Add a sprinkle of five spice.  Grate in a little fresh nutmeg.  By a little, I mean A LITTLE.  Add a few drops of sesame oil.  Mixture should be "comfort," not "excitement."  Taste and adjust;
    • Mix in whole, small shrimp, or larger shrimp cut into medium dice -- proportion of shrimp to the pumpkin, "to taste" -- but ratio should favor pumpkin substantially.  Shrimp may be raw (preferable) or cooked.  If you like, you may substitute lobster for shrimp;
    • Make wonton or bao dumplings using "regular" (i.e., small) or trimmed-down large wonton skins depending on size desired.  Seal with water, in the usual way;
    • Steam or simmer until shrimp is cooked or heated through (same thing really); 
    • Meanwhile, Cut fresh ginger into shreds of micro-julienne.  Put it in small dipping bowls along with Chinese red or black vinegar;
    • Serve the bowls of vinegar alongside the dumplings; 
    • Boiled dumplings are very slick and hard to grasp with sticks.  Steamed aren't much better.  No forks.  No mercy.  Spoons and sticks only; and 
    Hilarity ensues.

Note:  With very little effort you may alter this for raviolis.

BDL

PS.  This recipe is original with me.  If you want to share it or repost it on your own blog, you may do so on conditions that it is not for profit, you do not change it, and you attribute it to me, Boar D. Laze.  I would consider it a kindness if you would steer errant pilgrims of the plate to my blog, www.cookfood.com -- where it will no doubt also appear in a more structured form when I get around to it.  Thank you, very much.  You've been a great audience.  Don't forget to try your waitress and tip the veal. 

8. amazingrace

amazingrace

Exp:
    At home cook
    If you grow pumpkins next year,  you might consider planting seeds for pie pumpkins,  or even butternut squash, rather than field pumpkins.  They tend to mature at a smaller size,  and the flesh is much meatier, has a richer color and flavor, not so much water and very little fiber. 

9. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Don't let the name fool you, Grace. These are culinary pumpkins.

In fact, the head pastry chef at Blackberry considers them to be the finest culinary pumpkins in the world. Obviously I haven't used any yet (except as a summer squash), so can neither confirm nor deny. But I have no reason to doubt her.

What took me by surprise was the productivity of these plants. When I grew the same number of hills of butternut I wound up with 18 mature squash. Counting all the ones we ate over the summer, and the new ones forming now I'd say there were actually about 45 total.

Common names of plants, particularly heirloom veggies like this, can be very misleading. For instance, botanically speaking there is no such thing, specifically, as a pumpkin. Yet, there are pumpkins varieties found in all four of the commonly grown squash species.

In this case, "field" is used only to differentiate it from a squash that would be grown in a kitchen garden. That's the same reason cowpeas are often identified, generically, as field peas.

Anyway, the flat tans are supposed to be thick fleshed, meaty, very sweet, with great texture (no stringyness at all). Presumably they'll be on the dry side. They belong to the group known as "cheese" pumpkins, because of their shape, which is slightly flattened and ovoid, sort of like old-time cheese boxes.

Next year, no matter what happens with these, I'll be growing the Boer White Pumpkin, from South Africa. Another one said to be "the sweetest." Took me three years to track down seed, so I have to grow them.

You're right that modern pie pumpkins mature smaller. But that's only because they've been bred that way. Most of those smaller ones are hybrids, though, and even if I wanted a smaller squash I won't put a hybrid in the ground.

Among older varieties there are some hummongous squashes that meet all the criteria for pie pumpkins--sweet, tight flesh, low moisture, etc.. In fact, most commercially canned pumpkin actually is hubbard, and, depending on variety, they go as much as 45 pounds. If I had to guess, I'd say that most culinary pumpkins fall in the 20-30 pound range.

10. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    BDL: Now that's what I'm talking about. Something that pushes the envelope a little.

Thanx for the recipe.

11. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Curried pumpkin soup, pumpkin bread, pumpkin muffins all come to mind.  I'm not a fan of pumpkin, except in the jack o'lantern department so I'm not much help.

Pumpkins here are already ripe and early this season.. we had a stupid hot summer so everything matured faster.  I'm afraid to see what will be lurking about come Hallowe'en (and we always carve four pumpkins.. one for each of us!!)

12. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    Couscous?  I never was much of a fan of it until someone from Morocco made us a vegetarian one, which featured pumpkin.  It was really wonderful. 

In Italy they fry it but I never had it.  I believe it's dipped in egg and flour and fried or just egg (dorato e fritto), but I imagine using a breading would be even better.  Maybe (very unitalian) some sort of sour cream sauce.  Sour cream or Greek yoghurt with lemon and maybe something else. 

I bet if you grated them raw you could come up with some interesting fritter or pancake type things (think latkes) - maybe with a sauce with sage and garlic and hot pepper in butter or oil to drizzle on top?  Or with those in the fritter itself? 

I'd experiment also with slicing them thin and making a baked dish with some kind of sauce (like you can do with potatoes). 

Ravioli, if you have a lot of time on your hands. 

They sell pumpkin here at the markets by the chunk - and they always have them.  I think they;re put in minestrone (it seems a waste to me, since the flavor would be overwhelmed) but also they make risotto with the kind that go mushy.  I don;t know which type you have, the kind that cook into sort of watery strands (good for risotto) or the kind that make a thick, more homogeneous kind of mass.  The latter are good for turnovers, ravioli, gnocchi. They also make the greatest pumpkin pies. 

Here, everything is called a zucca, there is no distinction between pumpkin and squash, so i don't really know the differences.  Can you post a photo of these heirloomers, KY?

13. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Unfortunately, Siduri, I don't even own a digital camera. So can't post pix. I'll try and find photos on line.

Paula Wolfert has a wonderful sounding Pumpkin Couscous recipe that I've been meaning to try anyway. So there's a way to kill two birds with one stone. Thanks for reminding me.

That's a good point about all of them just being called "squash" where you are. A point I keep trying to make is that winter squashes are interchangeable in most recipes, and the same can be said for summer squashes. An interesting comment, in this regard, comes from Ilkin and Kaufman's brand new The Turkish Cookbook: "The term 'pumpkin'," they say in their into to a pumpkin soup recipe, "is used to indentify nearly all hard-skinned squash. What the term refers to changes from region to region and from country to country."

I'm extrapolating from what others have said, but presume that the Flat Tan will cook into a thick, homogeneous puree, rather than a watery one. Ideal, that is, for gnocci and pastries. We'll see soon enough.

14. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    KY, you might be interested in the typical italian pumpkins.  Besides butternut and another that looks like an acorn (why is the squash that actually looks like an acorn not called :acorn squash"???) these are the most common here.  I looked up flat tan but couldn;t find anything. 

this is one type I've seen around

http://www.google.it/imgres?imgurl=...uTmDg&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=17&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:0

this is another, i believe the modena one, great for ravioli etc

http://www.google.it/imgres?imgurl=...TmDg&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=17&ved=1t:429,r:13,s:0

This is the standard one you get at the market, in chunks like this:

http://www.google.it/imgres?imgurl=...&ndsp=16&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:17&biw=1280&bih=603

the one on the right is mandolino - also good for ravioli

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:...9UsdXk&t=1&usg=__sBi5aMyAHrVF3Lvn6P5St9n0iHE=

By the way, since you grow your own stuff, have you ever had the whole zucchine plant? I think they're called by different names, i just found one site that calls them Talli.  They sell it sometimes at the market .  It's the vine with all the tiny baby zucchine still on it, and the small leaves and flowers.  It grows up between the flowers.  You peel the stems and then quickly blanch it in boiling water and serve it simply with olive oil.  It's heavenly.  They also make pasta with it and other dishes, but it;s so delicate it's worth eating on its own.

http://foto.lericettedicucina.com/forum1/cucinalucana/cucinalucana_8259876275.jpg

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  15. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Thanks for the pix, Siduri.

If you go here: http://www.thedailygreen.com/healthy-eating/eat-safe/Heirloom-Pumpkins-Squash  you'll find a slideshow of several heirloom squash and pumpkins. Scroll through to the Long Island Cheese and you find an almost spitting image of the Flat Tan.

FWIW, the Rouge Vif d'Etampes you'll see there is also known as the Cinderella Pumpkin, because one of them was used as the model for her coach in the Disney animated feature.

16. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
  17. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    I saw the cheese one and it looked like something that would be called flat tan.  nice. 

Watch that they don;t turn into carriages!

18. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    But if they did I could ride off to the castle, where a team of culinary professionals would be waiting to take care of the pumpkins, and I wouldn't have to worry about it.

Do you think if I wish upon a star..........

19. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    Yeah, you can try, but just try walking in high-heeled glass slippers!

20. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    You're in big trouble now, Siduri.

Who's gonna clean the coffee off my monitor and keyboard!

beecher likes this.