Pumpkin Carving

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by kyheirloomer, Oct 28, 2010.

1. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Just to rescue another hijacked thread, I thought I start one on pumpkin carving and decorating.

What are your feelings about the modern trend of turning jack-o-lantern carving (which, let's face it, was essentially a kid's craft) into a high art form?

Some of the ones I've seen are nothing short of fantastic. And I understand there's even a major competitive circuit.

I just wonder why these talented sculpters choose an ephemeral media?

2. chefbazookas

chefbazookas

Exp:
    Other
    I've tried the pumpkin sculpting a few times but I wasn't able to pull off anything I thought was worth photographing.  I find that cutting out and shaping the pumpkin flesh is a tactile delight.  It's delicate without being too soft. 

Admittedly, I'm not very good at it.  However, the process was delightful.

I couldn't bear to watch the Cinderella carriage I posted in the hijacked thread decay.  I gave it to the vendor who initially helped me pick it out at the market.

3. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    ky,

would love to send along the pumpkin head photos to this thread that i sent you...can i do that? not really sure how...splain,please!

joey

4. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Haven't a clue, Joey.

Phil, among other people, has posted the method in the past, and perhaps will do so again to help you out.

If not, can you just post a link to them?

5. the-boy-nurse

the-boy-nurse

Exp:
    Cook At Home

Exact procedure depends on where the pics are. On your hardrive? on another thread? Flickr or facebook page? In any scenario start by clicking the insert image button on the editor toolbar. Then either browse for the particular photo (if it's on your hard drive) or enter the URL (if on the net somewhere). Easiest way to enter the URL is to go to the picture you want in a different tab or window right click the pic and select "copy location" then paste it into the URL box. Hope that helps

Carved pumpkins evoke mixed emotions, some are fascinatingly complex, absolutely impressive, but so is pumpkin soup. And that pumpkin could have been soup, or pie /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

6. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    well, i'd give up a piece of pie or a cup of soup...these are true artists...i got them as an email and when i try to attach it here, the no image available comes up...any other ideas? i wouldn't bother if i didn't think it was worth it.....right ky?   thanks...

joey

7. the-boy-nurse

the-boy-nurse

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    You got them as an attachment in an e-mail or in the body itself? Can you link to the web address of the pics? Have you tried just copy and paste the pic directly in the reply box? Or save the pics to your hard drive and then upload them. Now I really want to see these pics.

8. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  9. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    i am useless at this, and very impatient....let me try and figure it out though cuz it'd be nice to share with everyone..in the meantime, i can forward the email to you, if you care to leave another email address...thanks again...

joey

10. chefbazookas

chefbazookas

Exp:
    Other
    Don't know if this is the particular artist you're looking for, but these are spectacular:  http://www.villafanestudios.com/  

Click 'Gallery', then 'PUMPKINS' just above the photographs, then click on the picture.  There appear to be four pages of six sculptures each.

Enjoy.  

11. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    thank you chefbazookas...he is indeed the artist.....unbelievable art...happy halloween all!.....enjoy

joey

12. lyniebeck

lyniebeck

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Amazing pumpkins!!  Thanks for the link Chefbazookas!!