Pulled to be blown?

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by cakerookie, Nov 5, 2005.

1. cakerookie

cakerookie

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I just have a quick question in regards to pulled and blown sugar. Does it have to be pulled to be blown. I want to do some figure blowing but Iam not sure if I should pull it and then blow it or not.

2. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Yeah, once you cook the sugar, pour it out onto a sil-pat or oiled marble slab. Then start folding it in, let it spread out, and fold it in. The reason for this is to keep the temperature of the whole batch constant. If you didn't, the outer edges would harden up and the middle would still be soft. Then you have to pull at least 7 or 8 times. This gives the sugar it's silky sheen. THEN you can blow. Best rig yourself up with one of those study lamps with those elbows and springs, the kind you can adjust to any height or angle. Stick in your heat lamp bulb--same threading, it'll fit, and get yourself a hairdryer that has hot and cold functions, Rig up a box so the hairdryer can stand with the nozzle pointing out. You'll need this to cool down your blown work so it's hard enough to set down without squashing it as it cools.

Oh, and most important: Unplug the phone, make sure no one bugs you, put some tunes on, get a comfy chair to sit on while you work, and relax. Kinda like going on date with a beautiful woman; it ain't gonna happen if you don't take it nice and slow...

Take a peek at some good books. Check out your local library, or libraries at Community Colleges or cooking schools, there's two authors on the subject, both with wonderfull color illustrated books, both Swiss too. Ewald Notter, who's based in N.Y, I think, and the husband/wife team of Fassbind. If your library doesn't have either, see if you can get an inter-library loan from a larger city. Of course you could buy the books too, obscenely expensive, think somewhere around US $ 100....

3. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Orlando, Florida actually. And for the life of me don't ask me why?!?

4. cakerookie

cakerookie

Exp:
    Line Cook
    CH your still having trouble with Ewalds move from Maryland to Florida aren't you? As far as working the sugar I know how to do that. Its just keeping it even where I have the problem. Keep trying though.

5. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Hey guys and girls,
    I hate being the negetive one. Please be careful with the heat lamps. I'm using a 250 wat. They really need to be in a socket rated for that. Mine are ceramic and can be found at the home dep for cheap. By experience, the cord may start melting or smoking and when you go to grab it the wire can break and give you a volt and you may also drop the very large pimpkin you were blowing.
    I also rig a piece of foil on my side of the bulb, it can get glarry.
    Hey CR, did you ever cast?

6. cakerookie

cakerookie

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Not sure what you mean Pan? I am still working out my formula. Thanks to CH I think I have something that is going to work. I like your idea about the foil on your side of the lamp Pan. I was going to rush out and buy a red lamp but thanks to you now I don't have too. Yeah the sockets need to be rated at least 600 watts. I put a dimmer switch on my lamp and it had to have a rating of 600 watts to support the lamp. I saw a chef on FoodNetwork that had a dimmer switch on her box I thought great idea! And it was. Allows you to adjust the intensity of the lamp without constantly having to remove the sugar.

7. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    That is a good idea. Did you add an in line dimmer?
    I thought you were asking about casting sugar a while back.

8. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Nah, I just have to wonder though since Florida is a bowl of humidity why one would open a sugar studio there of all places. Besides where he was in Maryland is a fantastic place. I do admit bias though having grown up in that area of Maryland

9. cakerookie

cakerookie

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Pan I did add the dimmer in line with a switch box. Just spliced the cord and added the dimmer. CH nothing wrong with being bias. Does make you wonder though. I bet he goes through tons of Isomalt in Florida.

10. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I've been told that if you are getting divorced or going bankrupt, Florida is the place.:cool: Don't know if that's the truth or not.

11. cakerookie

cakerookie

Exp:
    Line Cook
    With all the hurricanes in the Gulf this year I would imagine there are a lot of insurance companies going bankrupt. Been a terrible year for those people along the Gulf Coast and Florida.

12. blade55440

blade55440

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Yeah, I feel the hurricanes have given Florida a bad rap now. Everytime I mention I'm from Florida everybody reacts: "Wow! Aren't you sick of all the hurricanes?!"

It's not normally that bad, we had some SERIOUS bad luck (worse?) when those came through, and on top of that, if it's not the hurricanes... it's the humidity making people stay away.

I think if people just go down to Florida and stay near the coast you'll not only enjoy yourself (there's a little town called "Navarre" where you can ALWAYS find some secluded beach if you so desire...great place), but you'll realize that Florida is a wonderful place... not to mention some good food.

p.s. I don't care what people say, Florida is part of the south and all who say otherwise spread propaganda.;)