Puffed Pork Skin

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by Lucusd88, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Lucusd88

Lucusd88

Exp:
    Sous
    Hi,

I've been braising pork belly in cider over night. Pressing. Then portioning. Then removing the skin and dehydrating before frying at 200c. The puffed skin seems to vary so much, from no puff to lots! Also, some turn out chewy and stick in my teeth. What am I doing wrong?!

2. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I've never done cracklings with skin that was taken off a braise...I've always removed the skin first.

One important step is to make sure after the skin is removed from the braised belly, you want to scrape it clean from all fat.

My usual method is to boil the pork skin for a couple of hours, then scrape off the fat, then dehydrate, then fry.

When the skin is chewy or sticky my best guess is that the skin didn't get scraped, it didn't get dehydrated enough, or it wasn't fried at the right temp.

I would start with scraping the skin thoroughly, and if that doesn't help then try removing the skin before braising and treating it separately.

Lucusd88 and phaedrus like this.
  3. Lucusd88

Lucusd88

Exp:
    Sous
    Thanks, I'll try your method

4. STEPHEN WOODARD

STEPHEN WOODARD

Exp:
    CHEF, EXEC CHEF, COOK, OPERATOR
    I think the sugar content in the braise will interfere. I've boiled it in lightly acidulated water....cider vinegar.....until tender and then fried.