Puff Pastry???

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by cakerookie, Apr 1, 2006.

1. cakerookie

cakerookie

Exp:
    Line Cook
    OK I have some puff pastry and would like to make some creme horns filled with pastry creme.But my question is this how do I make them into tubes in order to fill them with the creme?:rolleyes:

2. bobbyr

bobbyr

Exp:
    Restaurant Manager
    Hope this is what you meant.. We take the pastry dough and cut into 1-inch strips.. Wrap them around the horn tubes (available a most bakers supply store) with a light brushing of egg wash to seal the edges.
    Bake at 350 on parchment paper lined sheet until lightly golden.. cool completly before filling and dust with powdered sugar. ;)

3. prettylady1968@

[email protected]

Exp:
    At home cook
    hello you can even you silver foil shape it like a horn thats what i do.good luck.

4. chef kaiser

chef kaiser

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    hi,

There is a pro verb in German saying: all koeche sind beschiessen, Die sich nicht zuhelfen wiessen.

If you see the shape of the pastry, you simply have to use also commen sense, however i understand therefore:

I recommend you an e mail address [email protected] they have solid books, also in English just about what you have to know, the techniques, as most pastry books, show you a nice picture and let you guessing at the end.

regards

5. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
  6. cakerookie

cakerookie

Exp:
    Line Cook
    mudbug thanks a million thats just what I have been looking for.I think its time I went out and bought Cooks Illustrated after this.Agian thanks!

7. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    CR,
    Prettylady gives you good advise. You can shape you forms with heavy duty foil formed the way you would a paper cone.Just make it sturdy enough to hold. This actually gives you greater flexibility in form shapes.
    Wrap your strips so that they only overlap a 1/8 to 1/4 inch. you'll see this as you wrap. Keep in mind that the more dough overlaped the greater the baking time. Also try to start and end your wraps with the ends on the bottom so they don't escape and go off in their own direction. A little wash and I prefer to use some coarse sugar on them. This is an old classic that has been bastardized by some grocery/volume bakeries using lowerend ingredients etc. Done correctly, this is a wonderful item.
    I think if you really like them then you might want to invest in cones. I also know a baker that might have a few layin around that might give you a couple

8. cakerookie

cakerookie

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Thanks Pan.I found a set in a website for like $4.00 I may order those. I appreciate the tip on foil I will have to try that...

9. aprilb

aprilb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Anyone ever heard of that one? She'd grease them and wrap the dough around them for the cylindrical shapes, not the horns.

I dunno, when thinking about it I would have thought they'd stick, but they always came out fine.

April

10. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    April,
    Your granma was probably deep frying them as opposed to baking the puff. Done right, the cannoli shell is one of the most delicate and tasty shells.

11. cakerookie

cakerookie

Exp:
    Line Cook
    OK I am faimilar with the cannoli shell. Is it a more versatile dough has compared to puff pastry? Or can you do the same with both...Pan if you read this check your PM message box.CR
    Got a recipe for cannoli shells or can you buy them off the shelf....