puff pastry brioche shell???

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by shroomgirl, Jan 19, 2003.

1. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    read about it in the thread on cream brulee....what is it?

2. m brown

m brown

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Shroom! How are ya?!

I think what the post was about is making a vol au vont and putting a cooked brulee inside so the crust is like the cup. I have seen pastry chefs cook a brulee in a hotel pan and cut the custard out and place it in another recepticle.

Perhaps brioch was mistaken for puff although it is a cousin. the Lamination of brioch is done with cold butter in the mixer with a dough hook, like a bread dough and leavening comes from both the yeast and the steam. Puff is laminated on the table with cold butter and leavening is from the steam of the melting butter.
    I love brioche as danish! yet another cousin, has yeast like brioche and is laminated like puff!!!

I love food. :bounce:

3. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Me tooo I love food!!! I'm sick but getting better thanks....
    I had the best talk with Father Dom a couple of weeks ago and started talking breads with him....one of my very favoritist things is a brioche roll, rolled out in a large slab with pastry cream and rum soaked white raisins rolled up baked and glazed with apricot...oh man....so noone makes um anymore....you know of any decent ones around?

4. m brown

m brown

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    funny thought,
    dough relations are like six degrees of Kevin Bacon...........
    Phyllo dough
    Puff pastry
    brioche
    danish
    bread

I'm taking Nyquil and getting over three weeks of after the holiday rush cold/flu.

5. cookinscool

cookinscool

Hey,
    That was my post. Sorry for being confusing, i just don't know all the terminology. What i did was i bought a few of those little tins that you use to cook the brioche dough...small metal tin with ridges around the sides...This one has sides about an inch and a half high. Then i took a circle of puffpastry and stuffed it down in the tin and i weighed it down with a thing of parchment paper with beans in it and i poked holes...then i baked it. Then i cooked the creme brulee and put it into the shells with hidden strawberries at the bottom and torched the top.

Anyway, maybe i should put this back on my other creme brulee post but...I talked to the chef where i work about what i did with my creme brulee. They do a similar thing with the shell and all but i didn't know their recipe. I told him how i did my creme brulee and he told me that it wasn't creme brulee. He said its supposed to be made with a pastry cream? he said i made a flan. I did the temper the milk with the eggs and sugar thing....a custard...but does that necessarily make it a flan? All of the recipes i found called it creme brulee and made a custard? I'm confused...who's wrong?

6. m brown

m brown

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Flan = Milk, sugar, whole egg. Caramelized sugar goes on top (bottom of cup and flipped to serve)
    soft.

Brulee = Cream, sugar, yolks. Sugar burned on top (crispy)

Pastry Cream = milk, whole egg, egg yolks, sugar, starch, butter.

Anglaise = Milk, Cream, yolks, whole eggs, sugar.

Basic definitions.

7. cookinscool

cookinscool

thankyou! now....what does brulee mean? is it the technique of torching it the creme?

8. m brown

m brown

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Something like that.

If I were your instructor I'd have you write a paper on the subject (5 pages and 2 photo pages with bibliography including : 5 text refrences, 5 internet references and 4 interviews);)

Try to make a basic brulee first to see how it works and how wonderful it is to eat! Then go on to other methods. I love the basics, they give you a spring board to fly from.

You can gain much knowledge by hitting the books!

Enjoy your studies! :bounce:

9. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    MB you rock!!!
    I'm copying this post and taking it to school today.....I've been asked to tell the CC how to improve their program and what changes in curriculum should be made....1st day out of bed since Thurs.
    high standards are what make the difference.