pros and cons of different approaches in hte food industry, and...

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by chalkdust, Feb 12, 2010.

1. chalkdust

chalkdust

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I know there are many approaches to being successful.

Starting in a good kitchen as a dishwasher and seeing where it goes.

Apprenticing to a master fishmonger, butcher, baker or other title.

Going to culinary school and then... what? making some magical connection?

Getting the proper business, zoning and sanitary licensees and opening up a mobile stand or more permanent outside fixture in a good roadside location.

Going all out with business partners and hiring enough people to run an building based cafe, in and out or dine in.

culinary school, business school, hospitality school

hotel and vacation line catering

etc

I want to do something interesting. I always love learning about food, breads, pastries both savory and sweet, dumplings, deep fried, parcels and turnovers, strudels, pizzas, pies, fancy ingredients like tripe, breadfruit, kidneys, blood suasage, cassava, damson plums, prieselbern, wines, homeade fruit wines, fruit nectars, coffees and teas, sushi, chinese cooking, chinese breads, chinese cookies, chinese meats and fishes, cheese, fruits, pickles, potted meat french or austrian style, smoked pig fat on european bread, donuts, sauces, french cuisine, italian, austrian, west african, german, swiss, egyptian, iraq, iran, yemen, the gulf states, turkey, cypress, greece, trinidadian, fish u can only get in trinidad or in the amazon, jamaican, mexican, cuban, puerto rican, haitian, iguanna curry, guyanese, bjan, grenadian, colombian, red palm oil with sun dried locusts. norewigan and scandinavian fish tongues (a delicacy) the entire world is fascinating from street foods to french parleyed ham. i want to experiemnet, be creative,. learn, travel and share with others the magic and amazement of the worlds cooking art.

culinary magazines, tv shows, food anthropology, the discovery channel.

how can i get in with people who do things like that? where do i direct myself?

i guess media like film crew involvement or communications or other media might be a better option then trying to take on major restaraunts as well as chains like mc donalds and applebees here in the USA

(gag gag)

what about working outside of the USA

2. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    You sound like you're passionate about food and that's good. Unfortunately you will have to do your time on the line and work your way to where you want to be. I wouldn't go head to head with the chains but you can certianly start a restaurant that offers something a little different, and see where that takes you. Maybe cooking abroad and learning about the different cultures in our world would be something that would be appealing to you. I'm not sure of your situation but if you can do it, it could be interesting. One of my former managers worked abroad for a while and she said it was an amazing experience.

3. chalkdust

chalkdust

Exp:
    Line Cook
    How did she manage to do that?

4. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    She posted her resume on an online hospitality site and she also applied to jobs that were posted on the site. I know she did a thorough check of any overseas job she applied to just to make sure it was legit, and then she got hired. She did have to take a step down in order to go.. I'm not sure what she was doing here at the time but she was offered a prep job and jumped at it. When she was there she was able to get herself back on the line but she said that if she stayed prep the entire time she would have been fine. In her off time she did alot of sightseeing at first and then got to know the people who lived there.
    You have to apply for a work visa etc.. and each country has its own paperwork and hoops you have to go through but once you have I have heard it is worth it.

5. pembroke

pembroke

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I left the states in 1993 to work in Europe. I started in London and moved on to France, Spain and Cyprus. In each country I lived and worked as a head chef, I learned the country's cuisine and culture, made life-long friends and had my eyes well and truely opened. Don't get me wrong, I love the states, but the heart and soul of traditional/classical cooking is found in the rural villages of Europe, the little cafes and bistros in Paris, Barcelona and Rome. The village Tavernas in the hills of Greece and Cyprus. If your young, single and confident of your abilities I'd recommend travelling to learn cooking, but also to learn about the world outside of the states!:chef: