Proofing Box

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by Chefbutters1022, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Chefbutters1022

Chefbutters1022

Exp:
    10 years
    Has anyone used or currently used proofing boxes? What is their main use for, just any dough I wish? Are they more beneficial than than a temp controlled proofing cabinet, bench proofing, etc.

2. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    The better ones provide a consistent temp and humidity. Consistent regardless of weather or conditions that change daily in the kitchen. You can also wheel a proof box to the oven, which is a lot faster and smoother than picking trays off of a counter.

For a fast paced kitchen there are also retarder-proofers. These are basically refrigerators that, at a given time, stop refrigerating and go on to a proof cycle. This means a baker can load up a box at 4 pm, and the morning guy can bake off fully proofed dough at 4 in the morning.

Science27 likes this.
  3. Science27

Science27

Exp:
    Chef, Pastry Chef, Bread Baker, Butcher, Flour Miller
    They are especially great for naturally leavened wild yeast doughs, like brioche pan breads and buns, because the sourdough takes a bit longer to proof and need the temperature and humidity controls. As a bread baker, I always keep notes on water and dough temps, mix times, and proof times. Then when I feel the dough when shaping, I can adjust proofer setting to adjust considering all the other info. to achieve consistency.